Meeting to discuss Transition to Reg Ed High School

lizanne2

Hey Team:

My difficult child is SOOOO pleased that he will be moving to the reg ed high school. I am less excited. His time at the special school has been good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

So, tomorrow I am at the High School tomorrow for an IEP meeting and to set his schedule.

I could use everyone's help. I cannot get my brain around what accomodations to the reg ed program can be made in order to help transition.
I remember things like:

Preferential seating
Extra time on tests
Study guides?

One catch is this------------ His present school and I both feel that he needs to be VERY challenged academically inorder to keep focused. He also needs a class with serious learners. He is motivated to explore subject matter and advance the teachers lesson. He achieves well academically. This kind of class will not have in class support. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help. My difficult child is sensing my hesitation and is translating this as a lack of my confidence in readiness. I think if we have a good plan I can be more assured and not 'stress him out.'

dadside

Assuming you have a willing (vs. resistant - to spend anything) school district, and it seems you do given the special school, why not just explain your concerns and see what they offer. I don't know what he's getting now that would be "special" in high school. Extra time on tests might be one thing, but does he really need it or is that just an item on a list of possible accommodations. As he gets older and in higher grades, you want him to get by with less and less "special" treatment as he won't get them later in life and he needs to get by then too (not trying to rush things, just to "transition").

Since you and his present school agree on his needs, and I'd expect someone from his current school to be at the meeting (they certainly should be), they ought be able to express things well. Surely this is not the first time they've been through this sort of thing! And, if at the end of the meeting you are still uncertain, you don't have to agree, and you can meet again perhaps after further investigation and thought.

JJJ

One catch is this------------ His present school and I both feel that he needs to be VERY challenged academically in order to keep focused. He also needs a class with serious learners. He is motivated to explore subject matter and advance the teachers lesson. He achieves well academically. This kind of class will not have in class support. Any thoughts on this?

That is not true. If he is academically advanced such that he should be in the advanced classes, then the school must provide the supports he needs to be placed and successful there as that is his LRE.

svengandhi

My 9th grader is classified. He goes to resource room directly from his Honors Biology class. He is also in Honors math and next year he will be in AP European History and Intel research.

If your son's testing shows that he is capable of advanced work, push for it.

I told my CSEs that the least restrictive environment for my son is accelerated classes. We used the first one - advanced math in 7th grade - to show that he was able to do high level work. The more challenging the work the better his behavior has become overall because he feels better about himself.

When the school told me that it would be damaging to his psyche if he had to be removed from an honors class, I told them that NOT being in those classes to date had already damaged him. I also told them that it was my decision to make as to whether I preferred him with good grades in regular classes or not so good grades in honors. As it turns out, my son does better in his honors classes than his non-honors because he is challenged and happy.

Push for what your gut feels your son needs.