Midwest check in

dreamer

I seem to be ok here i n very north IL....whew, they began to be so ugly at 4 am yesterday and just went nonstop all day and intensified in the evening.
This morning the sky is stark white.....from where I lay, it had at first seemed to be bad heavy fog, but, now I realize it cannot be fog, cuz I can see all the finer details - leaves on the trees etc...
I am glad I am not ventureing far today- originally planned to go towards the lake to VA, but...my plans changed yesterday....I know we have standing water everywhere. DId you see the news? Said 93 MPH winds and 4 inches of rain in some spots. Yikes.
I had been thinking of you, glad to see you here this morning!
I hope slsh checks in. and kjs.

dreamer

Oh, I think they also said something like 15 lightening strikes per second? wow. Yes it was quite ugly last nite. MANY still without power.

The storm you got last night crossed us yesterday morning ~ for us it was fairly innocent: thunder, rain and lightening but the further it roared in your direction the bigger and more severe it became.

Glad to hear you're ok!

JJJ

It was nasty last night. We spent about two hours in the basement and heard a lot of sirens in addition to the thunder. Our grill was thrown across our backyard but no other damage is visible from looking out my windows. It's still raining so I haven't ventured outside yet.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
It was quite a lightening show last night......Welcome Abbey to the Midwest!!!! Just overshot a little with the location.......I was hunkered down and praying for no trees to land on the house.....I was checking for any water leaking in at the window and saw the most brilliant lightening strike.....I think it's burned into my retinas.......but picking up sticks and branches.......

SaraT

Still here and still raining. I don't think we got it as bad here in central Indiana as the north part got.

Hope the storm didn't cause damage to others.

dreamer

ya know- the storm a week ago was far more isolated, but it hit here much harder. Last week our hospital lost power AND sustained damage to their generator and evacuated.....difficult child went to a movie on a first date and the man called her after he brought her home and said he was extra glad he took her to movie, even th power also went off at movie-----where he would have had his car parked if he had NOT taken her--- a huge tree crushed 3 other cars there in his apartment parking lot.

The lightening yesterday was phenomenal. I kinda thought by late afternoon, the weather matched our mood at home. :-(
Those storms began so early in morning yesterday and woke us all---and now are rumbling thru yet again. It has been quite a year for weather. I live amidst many small rivers......near a creek......winter we had SO much snow, and since spring so very very much flooding...BUT except for very short bursts, I have to say the temps have really been mild, both last winter and this summer. Its just been the precipitation thats been extra bad. Mostly. (I am thinking of the heat in summer of 95 YIKES)
My poor yard and trees have really been manhandled this summer. My pretty sunflowers are now all laying flat on the ground.......more than 3/4s of my one maple has been broken off thru the various storms this summer (and also dureing the winter)

AH well, I should get ready to go take easy child.I HOPE the creek did not overflow, or we might have difficulty getting where we have to go for our unpleasant task of today.
and gosh darn it all anyway! The darned paper did not come AGAIN......and due to weather....the newspaper office said LOTS of people did not get them. :-(

I am glad people are safe. But, LOL, since they ARE, I think my missing paper frustrates me. LOL. (especially since it was just a couple days ago when I also did not get one)

OK so- be careful out there! Take your water wings with you if needed......duck if ya have to. Or maybe, grab your bottle of shampoo on your way out the door? LOL.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Glad you are all ok so far. It looked ugly on the news.
I'm happy to report that the hurricane seems to have missed the house on Galveston. Barrier islands are particularly vulnerable. Whew.
Sure hope all of those in Houston and north eastern Houston are hunkered down and keeping dry.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We got some particularly nast storms around 3 am. I was still up because easy child was still on call for the hospital and didn't know if she'd be needed to drop Darrin off if she went in to work.

Lightening strikes were nearly constant and the thunder LOUD and right on top of us. (doesn't help when your surrounded by hills that amplifies the sound too) I unplugged the phone and the computers in the house. The storm woke all the kids up. Not the thunder........the lightening was so brilliant and constant they couldn't sleep thru it.

Haven't looked outside much. Ran the dogs out for a quick potty session. It's still raining here.

Glad everyone is ok. Man, the storms this year have been something else, haven't they?

((hugs))

susiestar

Roll With It
Glad everyone seems to be OK. I hope the storms let up sometime soon - they have been bad this year.

It was 75 degrees this am and will be 103 by noon they say. Here, if you don't like the weather, wait an hour or two - it will change. ARGGGGHHH.

Hugs to all.

F

flutterbee

It was pretty cool. Almost constant lightning (looked like daylight outside) and immediate thunder that shook the house. It woke me up somewhere around 2:30 so it had to be a doozy. Then I could hear the hail on the windows and roof, but that didn't last long.

difficult child has gotten over her fear of storms, but she hung out on my bed last night until it blew over. She lit a couple of candles for good measure. :D

It was coming down so hard that I did think about checking the windows to see if it was coming in around them, but I had taken a klonopin and my body was kinda heavy. *snort* Good thing everything looks dry this morning.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Where I'm at in northern Indiana, we're fine. If there were any outages, I haven't heard about them Granted...I'm at my dad's and not at home but I've talked to husband today and he didn't mention any problems at our place.

Glad to hear everyone is ok. That radar looked positively angry last night!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ha! For once it skipped me!!! Had a storm in the afternoon, but not as bad as the last two days.

Abbey

SRL

The heat and humidity has been the kicker where I'm at. Yesterday my glasses steamed up every time I walked outside and you can just imagine my poor teen at marching band camp this week! They have a long parade later this week but I think there should be some relief in the temps.

It was reaching unsafe temps for our bunny so I brought her in--even at midnight it was still nasty feeling so she had to spend the night in the kitchen. And she was none too happy about it either!

All fine here, but it was quite a boomer last night. Got a ride to the train rather than cycling this morning.

BBK, do you recall the storms from almost exactly one year ago (Aug. 23, 2007) ? Our whole neighborhood, except us, lost power and we had tons of tree limbs down in that one -- had a flight out of O'Hare canceled and were on our way home through the worst of it -- this one wasn't as bad, at least down in the SW 'burbs. easy child 1 had me sleep in her room though.

HWGA, yes I do!! Tink reminded me of that storm. We had a brown out that night...all the lights were very dim but still on.

Last night was pretty horrific by us. We lost power about 8PM last night, and it went on at about 5 this morning. My neighbor, who had been watching Tink for me because I was sick, caused mass hysteria with her son and Tink because she is terrified of storms.

Yeah, I was sick as a dog last night. I had picked Tink up from day camp at 4 and asked my neighbor to watch her for me. I went to bed! I woke up at 8 when a friend called to see if I was OK. I had no idea what was happening. So I go downstairs to get Tink, and the neighbor had the whole family (herself, her boyfriend, her mom, her son, her twin 8mo olds, and Tink) in the hallway while she panicked and paced.

I brought Tink upstairs when the worst of it was over. She fell asleep on the living room floor, and I laid down on the couch next to her. It was SO hot. I had a horrible night's sleep last night without the A/C. I was up every hour from 11-3. Oh, and since there was no air, we had the patio door open, and a cricket decided to sit right outside the doorway and chirp all. night. long. You should have seen me, with a candle, trying to find the little bugger.

Finally at 4AM I took a shower. By candlelight. How romantic. Just me stumbling around the Hello Kitty decorated bathroom, trying to cool off.

I was SO happy and thankful when the power came back on. I had gone shopping on Sunday and my fridge and freezer were full.

Glad everyone else fared OK too!