More Facebook Information Please

N

Nomad

I'm on FB and I have mixed feelings about it.

Recently, I got two friend requests from men I went to HS with. I do NOT know a thing about them currently. They could be very difficult people for all I know. We have several mutual friends...but I do not know THEM anymore. it has been many, many years. What do you do in a case like this????

Also, I got a friend request from someone I do business with on a personal level. Let's just say it is my manicurist (it's not...but close enough). I went ahead and ok'd that friend request. But what are the pros and cons.

I do NOT do any of the games or send flowers, fish, etc. Is this considered rude?

One more thing, what does it mean to "poke" someone?

Thank you.:confused::tongue::whiteflag::faint:

Lothlorien

I have some men friends that I knew from grammar and high school. Some I talk to on facebook more frequently than others, but just a note here and there when one of us post something. It doesn't need to go any further than that. Some people friend you on FB, you hear from them once or twice, they look at your pics of your family and then tell you how great you all look. Then, you never hear from them again. It's no big deal. I think it's just neat knowing where they are or what they are doing, rather than twenty-five years later wondering "whatever happened to ....." I'm actually on FB a lot, because I work from home, so I check when I'm in the middle of a report. I don't play games....I can't be bothered. I find some people's posts quite humorous....even those guys who I haven't seen since grammar school.

You can always unfriend them, if you get a creepy feeling about them.

everywoman

I have tons of guys I went to school with as friends----some I see frequently, others I haven't seen in years. I see it no differently than having friends who are women. Facebook is really about networking---I use it a lot to make plans, find people to do services I need done, etc.

klmno

I looked at it like reconnecting with people I knew from the past and networking with current people in my life. Then it appeared that it would be best to shoose one or the other- so I cose reconnecting and not pursuing friendships with people I know in my current setting. I haven't had one single issue or concern so far and I've befriended people form middle/high school, college, and other years- and of course here. The thought of befirending someone from my "current" life doesn't bother me if I know it's someone I can trust.

KTMom91

My Facebook friend list is an interesting mix of high school friends/acquaintances, family members, and Warrior Moms. Some people I talk to to all the time, some people I added and never heard from again. Either way, it's a way to connect with people I wouldn't otherwise connect with as often.

If you feel comfortable adding those people, add them. If not, don't.

LittleDudesMom

My feelings are a mirror of Loth's. My experience has been that folks will come out of the woodwork at first, but you will rarely talk to those folks in the long run. I have rejected friend requests before if I was not comfortable - but not anyone from my ancient history!

Sharon

donna723

For me, it's been fascinating to reconnect with so many of the people I went to school with - women and men both! I graduated back in the 60's and then moved out of state so I had lost touch with everybody I ever knew. I have more women Friends than men, but then I think there are just more women than men on Facebook, with my generation of people anyway. After reconnecting initially, we haven't really chatted back and forth a lot, but we compare kids and grandkids and comment on each others pictures. We have set up a page for people who went to our tiny little school and share news that way too. Just having a man as a Friend on Facebook doesn't mean there's any ulterior motives, it's just a way to reconnect, catch up and say "Hi!". I have loved seeing what happened to all of them, their families, where they ended up, what they've been doing. Lots of surprises there. I didn't think I would ever hear from those people again, and then all of a sudden ... there they were!

Mine is a big mix of people too. Besides my old friends from high school, there's several from CD, there's a ton of people from my dog-related board, and LOTS of relatives - my daughter and sister in law, sister-in-law, nieces and nephews, lots of cousins. They all live out of state and we're in much closer touch now than before and share our news, pictures, etc. We could have done it the old-fashioned way before but we didn't! I even have some of my kids' old friends on there that I still keep up with. There are also a ton of people that I currently work with on there but I have chosen NOT to add them as Friends on Facebook. I just like to keep it kind of separate from my 'real world', ya know! I have only two real life friends on there. One is a woman that I worked with for over 20 years who recently retired because of illness - I never see her any more but love her dearly. The other is a local close friend whose daughter was best friends with my daughter growing up. She misses my daughter a lot since she moved out of state and this way she gets to keep up with pictures of the grandbaby, etc. Facebook is really just what you make of it.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I think it all depends on how you feel about using facebook and having information out there....... I prefer to only have immediate family and a few friends........ I had to laugh, my sister in law keeps stating how facebook wants her to find more friends for me....... I'm basically suspicious and a very private person so prefer not to have much information about me and my family posted where anyone can get at it...... yeah, even with those "safeguards" of making your info private, I don't trust it...... That being said many people do like to reconnect with people you knew when you were young...... I just left my small town and didn't look back....... to each his/her own......................

And I would not for a minute feel guilty about not accepting new friends, that is why they give YOU the option and likewise don't feel slighted when someone doesn't accept you either.

Last edited:

klmno

Well, I hope you don't mind me getting a little off topic but I have another question about friend requests- if I send a request to someone, can they see my FB page and all info on it designated as "friends only" prior to accepting the invite?

klmno

Oh- I knew they couldn't see anything until I added them as a friend, but if I send them a request to be a friend, are they able to view my page before they actually accept the friendship?

donna723

No. If you send them a friend request, they have to actually accept before they can see anything on your page.

klmno

Ok thanks! In that case, I hope they remember my name so they don't have to go by my facebook photo. LOL!

donna723

When you send a friend request to someone there is a place to send a little message along with it. I did that on some of mine because at first I had just used my married name and a lot of old high school friends didn't know who I was. I finally went back in and put my maiden name in there also to make it a little clearer who I was. I sent little messages too for some of the people on my dog-related board because we mostly know each other by user names (like here) and not by real names.