more from a newbie

cbree

My difficult child has been off her Paxil for her anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for going on a month now and she is on .25 mg of Rispidol....apparently the Paxil had been working when I thought it really wasn't because some of her obsessive traits are really starting to show back up and her attitude is awful....the dr said that at such a low dose of the Rispidol I would probably not see any change and it would get worse before it gets better but omg its bad, but the Paxil made her stop eating and she stayed so tired which neither were supposed to be side effects of the medicine but as soon as we took her off of it she started eating again and wasn't so tired and I know every medicine effects everyone differently.

I just don't know if I should call the dr and see about getting her put back on something like Paxil maybe Zoloft or just wait until we up the dose of Rispidol, which she told me would also help not only with the rages but with the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues as well.... I feel like I am in a dark tunnel and there is no light anywhere in sight:halfdead:

BusynMember

Hi there. I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that I have taken Paxil now for going on twenty years or more (lost count). For me this was a magical pill. It still makes me tired about an hour after I take it, so I take one pill at night just before I want to go to bed. And instead of making me not eat, I gained so much weight on it that I had to go on a monster diet and work out. You never know what one drug will do to benefit you or to cause unusual side effects. It's very individual. I do know Paxil is good for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It helped my "stuck" thoughts, anxiety, and depression. But I know a lot of people who didn't like it.

Zoloft may be good for her. It was horrible for me. In two weeks I ended up hospitalized with side effects and akathesia.

There is help and hope. DO NOT feel hopeless!!! ;)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I think this really depends on the person as well as the diagnoses. I'm bipolar and have severe anxiety. I have tried a few of the SSRIs and cannot tolerate.

My husband, who suffered from ADHD and depression did wonderfully well on Prozac and Ritalin. That's a combo that would've landed me in the hospital.

ahomefullofkids

My 9 year old is on Risperdone as well. She takes 1mg in the AM, 0.5mg at 4pm, and 0.5mg at bed. We also have a PRN dose of 1mg for anxiety attacks. I don't think the Risperdone really makes a difference with her. We are now being told that a person can build up a tolerance to the Risperdone. We have just upped the morning dose as her behavior in school became worse, but we haven't seen any change yet.