My gut is better!

TerryJ2

The elimination diet really helped. If nothing else, it gave my body time to calm down. Rice, rice, rice. Tea. Applesauce. Plain chicken.
(What's for dinner? Rice and chicken. Next night: What's for dinner? Never mind.)

I had been taking acidophilus before every meal, and digestive enzymes afterward. For yrs, it was a lifesaver. But not recently. I think I had a virus, which is what my gp originally told me, and then it inflamed everything and did some damage.
The gastro said that there are enzymes in the digestive enzyme mixture I was using that not only digest the food, but digest YOUR GUT. It actually makes things worse! I liken it to aspirin, which causes a small amt of bleeding. If you're unhealthy, you cannot take it. If you're healthy, you can take asprin. Since I was unhealthy, and my insides were so inflamed and raw, the enzymes were making me worse. The gastro said to stop taking them. That was an easy decision!

I now have a long list of things that bother me. Or more correctly, bother other people when they're around me. :)
But I continue to improve.
So I will most likely cancel my procedures with-the gastro. Which, by the way, will cost $1,260 after my ins has already paid. :( The ins lady called last night to inform me.

I haven't taken an antidiarrheal pills for 3 days. I do take psyllium every day. For some reason, Metamusil made me worse. Not sure why ... I'll read the label. Sugar, dye, whatever.

TerryJ2

Hahaha! Just typing this note brought up ads for Native remedies 'Digest Assist" and "Gasolve Relief." Gotta love the Internet!

rejectedmom

Glad you are feeling better Terry. Medical procedures are soooooo expensive even after insurince pays their share. It is good that you feel well enough to forgo the gastro procedure. Wishing you continued healing. -RM

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Glad you're better.

I try not to introduce anything to my body that I would not naturally eat. For the most part it works. (and I LIKE prune juice lol ) I don't trust probiotics or those body cleanser deals.......and I already know you can get too much of a good thing and to avoid taking things (or eating them) habitually. An anti-diarrheal is great on occasion when you need it......all the time? it's time for rice and lots of it. It just doesn't take our bodies long to grow accustomed to things (even OTC) and then become dependent on them. Know what I mean??

DDD

Rice has always been one of my favorites. I'm not eating it too often in fear that it might slow down my elimination, sigh!
We used to eat white rice, brown rice, yellow rice weekly. Now we are eating Basmatic (sp?) because it is alledged to be better for my issues. husband loves the faint aroma.

Glad you are feeling better and hope it continues to improve. Hugs DDD

TerryJ2

Yes, I love basmati rice, too, and Jasmine rice. And wild rice. And wild rice mixed with-white rice. And ... and ...