My Head's gonna EXPLODE.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ok, so I've tried hard to not complain, but I feel like I'm going to explode.

My surgery is Monday. Being the great considerate people they are, they gave me Augmentin 825mg and 20mg prednisone to start tomorrow to clean up any infection before surgery. (don't forget the acidophelous and prevacid to keep my tummy happy that I'm supposed to start tomorrow).

Hm.

Good idea. Except the infection got worse on AVELOX 6 weeks ago. I called and explained this, they said to see GP. So I did. She, not wanting to interefere with the surgeon, then said "OK, we'll do our best to keep it from getting worse. Nasal streoid spray and antibiotics UNTIL I start THEIR antibiotics and Advil all day every day to keep swelling down as much as possible. I tell srugeon's office, they insist I start prevacid and acidophalous THEN (despite being fine), so I do and feel generally crappier than I have on any antibiotic alone thus far. But whatever.

Ok, great. So the antibiotics, anyway, work fine til the surgeon's office says no more Advil as of last Friday. So I stop Advil. My ears and throat truly feel like they are going to implode/explode/spontaneously combust. I can feel/hear the fluid in my ears that is supposedly not draining because of the sinuses. Funny thing is, I'm still breathing thru my nose with no problem.

So I call GP. She sends me to surgeon. Surgeon says "it would be best if your eardrum just ruptures." WHAT????

No increase in antibiotics. Now that my ears and throat are way beyond controlling again, she says I can take advil again til friday. I can take 1/2 a prednisone and I'll be better. Been doing that for 36 hours now, 1200mg Advil at a time, and not even beginning to touch it.

I'm so frustrated. We have plans this weekend and I'm so afraid I'll hurt to bad to go BEFORE surgery....ugh.

I'm also hesitant because this guy isn't listening to me and how things have been going. My GP has me keep samples of Biaxin/Levaquin/Avelox and steroids on hand so I can get a jump-start on treating it when I know I'm getting an infection. And this guy doesn't acknowledge that. Grr.

I haven't chickened out yet, but come on people. I gotta function til Monday!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Shari,
I'm sorry you are in such pain. I am sorry you are not feeling listened too. I can certainly understand your frustration. Saying a prayer that you are feeling better soon. Hugs.

SRL

Shari, as I've mentioned I've had ear and sinus problems galore, including numerous ruptured eardrums. I'd call the doctor back and see if he'll give you stronger pain relief to get you through until the surgery.

Eardrum rupture is painful when it ruptures but it does relieve the pain and evacuates some fluid but it replaces it with ringing and muffled hearing for awhile that is annoying. He could do that surgically in the office for you (puncture and aspiration) which would relieve the pain as well.

Hang in there--I know this is painful.

SRL

Oh, you have every right to complain. I thought the period of time leading up to my eardrum ruptures was right up there with labor pain! The last times I knew it was coming I took a painkiller I had left over from surgery and that's the only thing that ever touched that pain.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hmmm... we've got some leftover Dilaudid from husband's brain surgery.
:nurse:

What's your address? I could FedEx it...

JOKING!

(Hope you get some relief soon.)

Estherfromjerusalem

Shari,

I hope you make it through till Monday, and manage to do what you wanted to do in the meantime.

Wishing you well, and wishing you good health,

Love, Esther