My job has been eliminated

K

Kjs

I know they told us a few months ago that our job would be outsourced. But, the contract was hung up. We were informed on Wednesday that the contract has been signed and our jobs have been eliminated. Transition will take 3 - 5 months.

This information came in the midst of a very chaotic two weeks. Trying to arrange a funeral in another country, get my husband out of this country..then this while he was gone.

We basically live off my salary. I don't know what we are going to do. The outsourcing company is willing to take on employees...but they are located 1.5 hours away. That would be on a good day. If it snowed, could be 3 - 4 hours one way. I just can't put myself on the road that long.

This company employs 12000 people just here at this site. (it is like a college campus) There are 9 people total affected by this. I just wish they could absorb the nine people. So for now I am applying for every position that is posted.

Quarter is coming to an end. Which means we have the big push at home for homework. Catch-up. All the work he didn't do all quarter he has to do now. He gets a credit at semester, so he needs to pass this class. He is lagging way behind in world history.

I just feel like not getting out of bed to face any of this anymore. If I just stay there I don't panic and I don't have to deal with it!

Star*

call 911........call 911
kjs,

I am so sorry for you. I wish there were something that I could say that would make it better, or right or happy, or cheerful, or at least as soft as a weasles butt. So what I think, since I'm not there to come by in my pathetically elderly car - you know what I was thinking today? If my car was an ox? It would be like 19x7= 133 years old. :surprise: I am beating an elderly ox day in and day out to take me back and forth to my job. But anyway - I would come pick you up in my elder-ox and take you for coffee after you've had your one day face down, in bed, (providing you could breath properly) pity party, and then? I think we'd probably do something silly. Snow tennis, or OMG how about if we got snow sleds like in the Chevy Chase movie where he basically sets the thing on fire and burns a hole in the bottom of it? After snow tennis then I would suggest that. Then? Coffee and some wickit pastry, over a box of kleenex - but not that snotty aloe filled kind (I've already explained the disadvantages of that to TM) and then we'd just sit and I'd try my best to cheer you, encourage you and tell you that I think you .........YOU (I would probably get up on the chair at this point with on foot up on the bistro table, one hand on my heart like the pledge of allegiance and the other out like I was going to belt out a song from Annie -with my winter hat in my hand) and look down at you.....and bellow........(who is probably now makin'g the crazy symbol with her finger and whispering ---we get her out of the nut hut once a month it's okay she's on medication and then smile)

YOU.............ARE AN INTELLIGENT, BEAUTIFUL, CARING, CHARASMATIC, PHENOMINAL, WHITTY, CLEVER, EDUCATED, WONDERFUL,FANTASTIC,LOVING, SMART, WOMAN.....and......(while stomping my foot and waving my hat) YOU WILL FIND ANOTHER JOB.......JUST LOOK AT THIS WOMAN.......HIRE HER!!!!!! HIRE HER TODAY ------A FOUR HOUR COMMUTE IS A CRIME PEOPLE!!!!! SHE IS BRILLIANT!!!!! :D

Then I'd step down, have you stand up, accept the applause you deserve, get everyone's card that would be LUCKY to have you work for them....pass out your resume....and accept only the top offer.

THE END.

So take that one day face down, have the pajama/ice-cream bon-bon pity party....cry if you must.....then meet me at the curb for the ride of your life in the ox cart. :tongue: - (speech in the bistro optional)

HUGS & LOVE
Starbie, the no-stage fright Barbie.....
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma......where the wind comes sweeping down the plain...........;)

NOW GET OUT THERE WOMAN.......AND REMEMBER I'm IN THE BISTRO BELTING OUT SONGS OF COURAGE AND SUPPORT FOR YOU!!! (Kind of like an annoying, personal, miniature karaoke)

K

Kjs

Thanks Star. Too bad you are soooo far away. You can come play in the snow, there is plenty of it.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Kjs, I will hold a good thought that something even BETTER comes your way with your current employer. I got downsized a few years ago. It's scary and a blow to your ego ("I'm such a good/hard worker, they wouldn't really let me go, would they???"---"DANG, yes, they would!") even if you know it's coming.

Even on my worst day now I appreciate having a job. I'm so sorry.

Gentle hugs,
Suz

KTMom91

Are you at least getting a severance package?

Fingers crossed and dancing with panthers that something turns up for you soon.

K

Kjs

won't know anything about severence until we get a 60 day notice. At that point they will work with us and discuss severence.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. I know your pain. husband is still job hunting.

Sending you hugs from

OOOOOKLAHOMA where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!!

Where the waving wheat, can sure smell sweet, when the wind comes right behind the rain!

If you want to come out here I know where there are wheat fields. It really does smell great on a windy day. What days aren't windy here in Tornado Alley??

Seriously, take a day or two to catch your breath. Then polish your resume and start looking and you WILL find something.

Hugs.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
KJS, you have my deepest sympathies. Over the years I've been RIFed, outsourced, laid off, rehired, you name it.

It's always hard, even when you know it's coming.

Lothlorien

Saying prayers that you can stay on with the company with a new and better position. I'm sorry this is all happening right now.

dreamer

Just sending hugs, funeral in another country sounds very difficult. The job thing? YIKES. Im very sorry. Come chat with me at FB.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
So sorry to hear this ..... it's happening all over the place though that doesn't make you feel any better.

I've read in the business pages that companies are hiring on temps versus full time employees at a fairly high rate because they do not want to hire a company employee & have to lay them off in 3 months time.

Hit the temp agencies ... but first take a few days to sulk.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am so sorry.
I like what Star* wrote... makes me smile.

I understand though we are hanging on with only enough to pay our employees for a few more months. We decided to not take a paycheck and pay rent through our 2nd mortgage... Hoping things turn around for everyone.
Such sad and scary times for most of our country.
I hope you find something soon.
I will be thinking of you. In the meantime take a few moments for yourself you deserve it.

Abbey

Spork Queen
So sorry this is happening. Yeah...the economy is getting better my ****. I've found out that companies can reply on fewer people to get the job so they just aren't rehiring or keeping people on. The downside is those that are able to stay work themselves into the ground. Not a good work situation.

I hope all works out well for you. I know it's very frustrating.

Abbey

LittleDudesMom

Kjs,

sorry to hear this news. Fingers crossed that you can either find something with the company, or find another position quickly.

We are doing the end of quarterr thing with difficult child here as well. Fortunately his school uses an online grading program where you can log on and it lists all the assignments, quizes, tests, homework, etc., from that current quarter and the grades. We found every missing assignment but one already complete and in his binders! Hope your difficult child's is as easy is that!

Take care of yourself.

Sharon

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That hoovers. I hope you get some sort of severance. You should sign up for a LinkedIn account. It was very helpful for husband to network on this while he was out of a job the last 6 months of '09. A couple of headhunters contacted him based on the info he posted there. Make sure you get phone numbers and email for anyone who you think might be a resource for you down the road that are still at that company or who get let go along with you. husband ended up getting a job working for someone who also got laid off from his company and landed someplace else. You just never know...