Need a recipe for fudge without milk? I've got it

TerryJ2

I searched online and could only find a recipe for fudge with-goat's milk, so I substituted almond milk. It worked! The rest of the recipe combines traditional ingredients of marshmallow creme, sugar, vanilla and choco chips. (No condensed milk, of course.)

Also, for some reason, our grocery store never carries Betty Crocker chocolate cake, gluten free. So today, I used their white cake mix and added 1/2 cup of hot cocoa powder and 1 cup of melted choco chips and swirled it around to make a marble cake for difficult child. (That small amt of milk in the powder won't hurt him.)

How am I going to get a flat stomach this way?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Shoot, I don't have the recipe for fudge with milk. lol But Ive got to ask.......what is "almond" milk? Oh, wait.......hit me as I typed the question. LOL

easy child has happily discovered that homemade cake is far superior to boxed cake mix, same with icing. (her icing alone is to die for) I'm not sure if that would be gluten free or not. Dear ol' Mom always knew this of course.......I was just using box mixes as long as they were happy with them.

InsaneCdn

If you need specific milk-workarounds, let me know...
I've been milk-free for 40 years... and the kids were for about 10 (until they were old enough and stable enough that we could challenge them and get "real" answers)

Such as - alternatives to ice cream. Alternate ideas for what to use in hot cereal in place of milk. etc.
I could write a book - so I won't start posting except to answer specific questions...
(but I don't have answers to EVERYTHING - just the knotty problems we ran into)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sigh... But it is SO expensive! That's the only problem. J is, like me, mildly lactose intolerant... I've been drinking 1% or 2% for years, so the sudden switch to vitamin D was horrible on my stomach. I only switched for the kids, I've never much liked milk... And then... With all of J's horrible, noisy, painful, odorous flatulence... Back to 1%. Much, much better. But... I priced soy and almond milk, and Lactaid, and :faint:

TerryJ2

More expensive? That explains why our grocery bill has gone up, lol! I never even looked--I was just so excited to find anything that difficult child could drink!
Rice milk does not work in recipes by the way, unless you want water.
If you want expensive, keep feeding your kids regular milk, have them get sick and miss school, so that you miss work, and THAT's expensive!
I am hoping those days are over for good.
School is coming up. We shall see.
Thanks for the offer, Insane. I'll look you up next time I need a recipe change. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Terry, it's a matter of necessity for you. Ours can be managed with a lower milkfat content... If we couldn't do dairy, I'd probably scream.

InsaneCdn

Step -

Mild lactose intolerance - can often handle goat milk but not cow milk.
Some places, goat milk is cheaper than soy... usually, almond milk is among the most expensive.

Goat milk works in every recipe I know about that calls for cow milk (including instant milk pudding), while the other non-dairy milks do not.

BUT - if you're like Terry's family, ALL dairy is out, including goat.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We had some goat milk about a year ago. No one else could tell the difference.

But getting it... Well, that's a whole different (ahem) animal.

InsaneCdn

Goat milk has way less lactose than cow milk - and no added vitamin D.

Getting it? Here, Safeway carries it - not sure about elsewhere, but you could ask.
Otherwise... its a farm-gate thing. We've done that, too. Ask at the health-food store - they often have contacts.
There's supposed to be a shelf-stable version out there somewhere but I haven't found it yet.

InsaneCdn

If you can get it ahead... some stuff is worth doing ahead - and you can freeze it.
I make home-made ice-cream - and of course, THAT keeps! (well... as long as difficult child doesn't get into it!)