Why is my fudge gooey?

TerryJ2

Well, it turns out that the center of the pan had perfect fudge. The rest was gooey.
I had no idea whether it was a regular recipe or double. I found it and made it and it didn't occur to me to use a smaller pan. I like flatter fudge because I can eat smaller pieces and make it last longer. But maybe that's just me.
So far, I am not overweight, but I would prefer that my waistline look like one of the models on a weightlifting magazine.
Walking is good but situps are better. :)

InsaneCdn

Well, it turns out that the center of the pan had perfect fudge. The rest was gooey.

Just because of how things usually "spread" when you pour fudge... the stuff from the middle of the pot would have ended up on the outside edges and the stuff from the edges of the pot you would have plopped into the middle when you were scraping it out.

The stuff on closest to the pot would have been at a higher temp than the stuff in the middle of the pot...

So, I'm still thinking the original theory is right... you just didn't quite cook it long enough. If you tested it with a candy thermometer, or did the soft-ball method, and used stuff from the edge of the pot - you would get an incorrect reading. Must take temp-test from middle of pot.

H

HaoZi

Humidity does in many sweets. I've really enjoyed that super simple fudge recipe that was posted here months ago that only used chocolate chips and tubs of frosting. Made little fudge addicts out of us.

susiestar

Roll With It
Alton Brown's PB Fudge - would work just as well with almond or cashew butter. Friend did it with almond butter and it was amazing! No dairy, so no problems there. FYI, a small amt of cornstarch is added to powdered sugar. It keeps it from caking. If you have problems with corn, you CAN make your own powdered sugar. Now I have only done it once, and that was to see if it would work, in my opinion it is way too much work even for me. Anyway, you put the steel blade in your food processor, or you set up your blender, and you put a small amt of sugar in it, enough so it won't all just sit at the edges, will take trial and error to figure the right amt for your machine. Run the machine on high until you get the texture you want. This is where the food processor tendency to pulverize things into the teensiest particles possible comes in handy. I don't expect ANY of you to do this, but I do know that some people have real problems with corn so i wanted to toss it out. You can add arrowroot powder, which you can find online or in health food stores, to do what cornstarch does if you need that. (and if you have no dairy or corn issues, adding a teaspoon per cup of heavy cream as you whip the cream will stabilize the cream and make it not so fragile and it iwll last a lot longer if you need to make a recipe a day or so ahead. Sure beats paying $1 or so for a tiny packet of "stabilizer" for whipped cream - because that is just a tiny high rent packet of cornstarch and preservatives!)

Anyway, back to the PB fudge,

8 oz butter (I use margarine sometimes, not a huge flavor issue esp if sending it to a school/kid party) and 1 cup peanut butter - put in 4 qt microwave safe bowl and cover iwth plastic wrap. Nuke for 2 min on high, stir, nuke for 2 more minutes. Add 1tsp vanilla and 1 pound powdered sugar, stir until combined with a wooden spoon. It will become hard to stir and lose its sheen. Spread into buttered 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper (be sure to butter the top side of the parchment/waxed paper). Refrigerate until set, cut into pieces and store in airtight container. Does not have to be refrigerated.

If you have a cake or cookies, etc... and want a peanut butter glaze, you can take this fudge, any time after the sugar is mixed in, warm it in the microwave until liquid, and pour it on. It is also awesome swirled into brownie batter or with chocolate cheesecake batter. Though with choc cheesecake I like to do a thin layer of the fudge on the top, then garnish with chocolate shavings or mini chips - just looks way awesome.

Janet, my grandfather was the all time king of divinity makers. I hated divinity as a kid - except his. He left the nuts out of a bit of it for me sometimes, and that made it even better. It was one of a very very few things I would eat that had nuts in it. Not sure if I have that recipe or my mom does, but when I find it I will post it. might take some time - Jess got into my recipe box and not all is there - grrrrr... These were recipes I treasured because they were in my gparents' hands, gpa's, gma's and the gma who died before I was born's (mom's biomom). So it was all I had.

keista

Just a small aside on the cornstarch. If corn is a problem you can use potato starch. If you don't find it in the baking section, you might find it in the Kosher foods section.

TerryJ2

Wow. I had no idea there were so many possibilities with fudge. As soon as it stops raining, I will try a new batch. :)
And I went to the gym today. Yay!

TerryJ2

Timing, and whether it's got that nice sheen to it. I have a thermometer somewhere. I bought it for yeast so I don't know if it's got the right range but I'll check it out.

InsaneCdn

Here's an easier way...
When you've already done the "timing" and "look" tests, then do this one as well...

Have a tall, narrow bowl of really cold water - not ice-water, but fridge, or coldest it gets from the tap.
From the middle of the pot, stick in a small metal spoon and take out a little bit.
From the spoon, pour a wee tad (think 1/8 to 1/4 tsp) into the cold water.

If it does not form a "ball", then it definitely isn't ready.
It should "curl up" into a ball - mostly round. If you see the ball, then reach in, and take it out - it should still be squishy.
*** this is defined as the "soft-ball" stage, and is the normal test for fudge ***

(if you needed hard-ball stage - some candies do - you would have to cook past this stage, to where the ball forms but instantly hardens)