Need more physical space away than shopping or going for a walk

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by MICHL, Mar 19, 2011.

  1. MICHL

    MICHL New Member

    I bought a condo and it closes in 1.5 weeks. husband will need to do the actual living with difficult child. He's 16 going on -5. I can no longer take the abuse at my age. It's only a mile away so i'll still be there alot, but not too much. Everything has gone amazingly well with the condo, my first ever real estate, so it seems like it was meant to me.
  2. tiredmommy

    tiredmommy Site Moderator

    {{{Hugs}}} I'm glad you have a plan but I am sorry to see the family apart if you Know what I mean?. Do you have any concrete transitioning plans for difficult child when he reaches 18?
  3. MICHL

    MICHL New Member

    No, he is failing most of his classes now (special needs non-public school). We will support him 100% for anything positive he wants to do. I don't think we will be able to convince him to keep going until he graduates as even now he refuses to do homework. His medications can't be adjusted any further he's on the max dose, and have trialed all the medications out there. We are getting in-home social work services for him and our familiy due to his issues. I suppose he would qualify for SSI, but would squander that money as he has no concept of saving. He is verbally and physically abusive. I can't even see him going into a group home as he doesn't get along with most others. Sometimes he gets along ok one-on-one with another friend, but not without issues. People have asked me that before, but I don't know where to start or what i should say? At 18 most young adults have a direction or at least some type of plan of their own.