Need Suggestions

M

ML

to help me find ways to integrate exercise into an already too busy schedule. I don't have a support system in place during the week so that I can go to a gym. When I get home from work after my long commute it's 6:45. I fix dinner and help difficult child with his homework, make sure the bath routine is done, do the dinner dishes and pretty much crash for that last half hour before bedtime at 9:00. Franky it's too late to work out then.

The way I see it, mornings would be the best time. Waking up early is next to impossible though but it's the only available spot.

I'm thinking that I could do a work out video maybe. I live in a small townhouse and have no room for exerise equipment. It's too cold to go outdoors for a walk.

So I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have any suggestions on exercise videos and how the heck do you force yourself to get up earlier. I'm soo tired all the time. Do you think that getting less sleep at the expense of more exercise will be a good trade off?

Any suggestions or encouragment would be so much appreciated.
ML

trinityroyal

It's a bit of a balancing act, isn't it.

The thing about exercise is, that it will give you more energy, so you will feel less tired overall and then it might become easier to get up a bit earlier. However, right now while you're exhausted, I would suggest building "hidden" exercise into your day rather than sacrificing sleep. Here are some of the things I do:

- park way at the back of the lot when I go to the grocery store or mall. It's a big lot, so it provides about 10 minutes of walking round trip
- park at the far end of the mall, furthest from the store I am going to. (The danger there is having to walk past all the other stores, where I am tempted to buy things.)
- whenever possible, take the stairs instead of the elevator
- try to fit in a little walk when I take a break or lunch at work.
- Get off the subway or bus 1 or 2 stops before my destination and walk the rest of the way

Several studies have shown that a little bit of exercise at a time is every bit as good as a complete workout. The effects are cumulative. I don't have time to go to the gym either, and I have found that doing these little things makes a big difference to my fitness level.

Hope this helps,
Trinity

I totally agree with the great advice Trinity gave you - In fact, I can't really think of much else to add. The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that I don't think you should sacrifice too much sleep for exercise. I think it is really important to try to get a decent night's rest. It is true that exercise will give you more energy to accomplish the things you need to do, but, you also need enough sleep to maintain your health. As Trinity said, it is definitely a "balancing act."

Once you incorporate Trinity's suggestions into your daily routine and once they become a habit, then I like your idea of exercising a bit in the morning. Maybe you could get up just 20-30 minutes earlier, have your exercise clothes out and ready the night before, and spend just 15-20 minutes exercising with the help of a video. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for one. I hope others will be able to help you in this area.

Now that my brain is "waking up", I'm thinking that you might be able to alternate an exercise video one day with resistance bands the next. Mine were supposed to arrive two days ago but still aren't here. When I get them, I'll let you know what I think of them. You might have to take what I say with a grain of salt though because while I enjoy aerobics, I absolutely HATE weight training, lol!!!

Let us know how you do making simple changes in your daily life to increase the amount of exercise you get. You have a positive attitude and I KNOW you CAN do this!!! in my humble opinion, getting into the right mindset is the hardest part. You've already got a great attitude - :you_go_girl::its_all_good: WFEN

LittleDudesMom

What I've been doing is using the On Demand feature of my comcast subscription. If you have comcast digital cable, they have fabulous exercise routines so that you can "change it up" and not get bored. easy child and I have really enjoyed them and you can do one, or even part of one whenever you have time.

Sharon

trinityroyal

As far as exercise videos, I just found a great one.
It's from the Goddess series, and it's a Belly Dance workout. I have been having so much fun trying to figure out all the movements that I don't pay attention to how hard I'm working. And it is the most incredible abdominal workout I've ever done.

I can't remember the details off the top of my head, but next time I'm in the TV room I'll grab the DVD box and let you know.

Trinity

rejectedmom

One thing I used to do is get up and do a set of exercises during the commercials while watching TV. When my kids were little they used to do it with me which was great for those long cold snoy days when we lived in the Catskills. Our house was tiny and the weather frightful for days on end. Anyway I think I am going to try to do this again. The other thing that helps keep energy levels up is background music. Keep something peppy on while doing your housework and let yourself dance when the urge hits. -RM