neuropsychologist WOW

T

TeDo

The neuropsychologist appointment actually went pretty well. difficult child 1 shut down a couple times because things got too hard and instead of just telling them that, he shut down. Dr. said he got enough of the info to get a pretty accurate picture of what is going on. That made me very happy.

The WOW part is that he affirmed for me that our SD is one of the 3 worst in the state that he has had to deal with. He said they must have it easy if the few kids he has seen are considered "problems". That made me feel better (it's not just me that thinks this) but at the same time worse (no hope it's gonna get any better there).

All in all, the 3-hour one way trip was worth it. It will be interesting to see what his report says. I will let you know when I find out.

buddy

So glad he made it thru. And glad that difficult child 2 hung in there and didn't add to the stress of the day. They are great kids. So happy to have met them and Q is still talking about it.

Let us know how the report comes out. Did you have any students or just the neuropsychologist?

Ta for now, Dee

klmno

Keeping fingers crossed! It sounds like a double edged sword re the sd but at least you got a little validation. I'd say your difficult child shutting down is a telling sign to the dr, too.

T

TeDo

It was an intern that did the testing and he told her once to "please shut up... I can read you know" (to her) and "her voice is annoying and she won't shut up"(to me only). Gotta love it?!?

buddy

It was an intern that did the testing and he told her once to "please shut up... I can read you know" (to her) and "her voice is annoying and she won't shut up"(to me only). Gotta love it?!?

too perfect, just like a day ago, the teacher asked if Q was ok and he told her to please just dont talk to me.... I just need to take a break from you. lol

InsaneCdn

too perfect, just like a day ago, the teacher asked if Q was ok and he told her to please just dont talk to me.... I just need to take a break from you. lol

Hmmm.... maybe you need to post that line over on the thread about difficult children talking too much?

T

TeDo

In our case, it is certain things about certain voices that "irritate" difficult child 1. The SOUND of their voice drives him nuts. He had a similar reaction to his SpEd teacher last year. She has a very sing-songy quiet voice that is perfect for talking to very little kids. difficult child 1 found her voice to be very annoying. This intern's voice was similar.

soapbox

She has a very sing-songy quiet voice that is perfect for talking to very little kids. difficult child 1 found her voice to be very annoying. This intern's voice was similar.

Red flag... possible hearing or Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) issues.

Some voices are REALLY hard to make out, if you have even minor hearing difficulties.
And those "soft" voices get drowned out by only a tiny bit of noise (like paper rustling).

Just a thought...

T

TeDo

Their voices are more like sandpaper scratching across his eardrum. He has many sensory issues including the hum of an overhead projector and certain voices. He hears them just fine but they bother him as much as tags on his shirts.

buddy

same for Q, while he does have processing issues too, so many noises affect him. I certainly can't sing around him, and though I know I am not a good singer, I am not awful, no one can sing around him. He can listen to music though. I always have earplugs on hand. Buy the big bags at walgreens. lol.

DDD

Although I don't have any identifiable issues I am sound sensitive. I enjoy loud bands and parties, loud exciting stadium football games etc....but...a loud tv or radio at home can drive me nuts. High pitched women's voices and "little girl" voices I avoid. There are nice people who have sought my friendship and have been nixed because the voice tone made me want to scream. So far, lol, I have not never said it like your difficult child but I understand it. DDD

TerryJ2

Great validation! That's one thing that really gets me, to the point where I get tears in my eyes--when a dr meets gft and says something like, "You've got your hands full."
If this intern is worth her salt, she'll have picked up on the hearing sensitivity and other environmental sensitivities.
Let us know.

B

Bunny

Actually, I think difficult child 1 shutting down during the neuropsychologist appointment is a good thing. It shows the doctor what is really going on. It's not just you describing it all. It's a shame what he said about the sd though. Hopefully, once you get the report from the psychiatrist they will be abl to do something for him.

T

TeDo

That is my hope Bunny but I won't hold my breath. I have heard from too many people already (who were fighting them too) and now to hear it from a professional 3 hours away makes me wonder if it's worth it. We'll see after this school year is done. Both my kids are doing online middle school and difficult child 1 is doing much better than he has ever done (difficult child 2 does well academically no matter where he is). Rumor has it that superindendent might be retiring (his youngest graduates this year) so that will eliminate one problem. We will also be under a different principal starting next year (high school) and it sounds like that might be a new one too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but still not holding my breath.