New on here, maybe you can help?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by seansmama, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. seansmama

    seansmama New Member

    My son is 10 months old and is going for an MRI tomorrow. He is developmentally delayed and has a strong possiblity of Cerebral Palsy (CP). He has a therapist that comes out once a week to our home. My son and I live in my parents home currently while my fiance lives with his parents. The living situation is not good, far too much stres and all. My dad is going for a triple by-pass in the next few weeks. I can not handle the stress of all of this. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can look for housing? There is also a history of verbal/emotional abuse between my step-dad and I. I don't want to expose my son to this as he grows up. Also, I am worried about how long it is going to take to diagnose my son with CP and what the criteria is for the actual diagnosis. I can not seem to get a perfectly straight answer from anyone. Does anyone else have a child this young with CP? Sorry for the long-windedness and it possibly not making any sense.
  2. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    Hi Seansmama,

    Good for you for wanting to make a better life for your son. I grew up with some abuse in my background and I applaud you for this decision.

    I think the best source for help for you would be your closest women's shelter. They deal with women who are in a variety of bad situations--not just physical abuse. We recently intervened and hooked a family member up with one in her state and they were able to provide housing, a job, and various other supports until she was on her feet.

    I can't answer your questions about the CP diagnosis but I did find a lot of info on this site below. It looks as if there is a period spent observing and ruling out other disorders and I'm not sure how long that lasts. I do know with other neurological issues (such as Autism) it can sometimes take as long as 6 months to get the appointments set up and through the entire evaluation process.

  3. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    Can you get on a list for low income housing? I would contact your county social services. They may have special services because your child is disabled too. I'd give them a ring.