New weather check. How cold is it?

InsaneCdn

GN - can you not get windshield covers there? heavy plastic/vinyl with magnets, attaches to car roof and hood, with sections that get caught in the car doors to hold it on. We use this on front and back... tear it off and most of the ice, snow or frost comes off. Side windows seem to be easier to clear than windshield.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Haven't been able to find them down here. They were available in Rhinelander, but I had a carport, and when parking elsewhere, icing was rarely an issue, so never bothered.

It seems down here that every snowstorm starts with freezing rain.

Just got the car cleaned off. It's up to 5 degrees and sunny. Since there's no wind, it's actually rather nice out there.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Yesterday it was 7°F when I got up. Today? 27°F. However, it's snowing. Again. Yuck. It would be OK if I got the day off...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yeah, that's the latest "clipper" system. We got about 5" out of it. No big deal. Areas E of the Lakes are getting clobbered, though. Lots of lake effect snow.

BusynMember

Wow, suzir. I work out inside. I dont like being outdoors thst much. The cold and heat both bother me. Winter sports to me is a good workout in the gym. Same when it is 80 degrees and hotter.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
You guys are TOUGH! 5-10 nice outdoor activity weather!!!
That is :censored2: freezing, well, below freezing.
OMG.
brrrrrrrrr.

Leafy, think about this. When it gets this cold and your car has been outside overnight, you may not be able to get into it because it's frozen shut. Sometimes you can heat your key to get it in the lock but you still have to be very careful when you try and open the door.
Fun times
:2cold:

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I actually would think that this is mostly perfect weather. Virginia? Hmmmmmmmm...I know we will move again....

But we will need to stay in the Midwest...all our kids are here. But I sure wish your winters were our all-the-times. I can deal with 25 at night and love the 60's. No coats for me in the 60s.

60s is definitely not the "norm" here for the winter. But going between extremes is fairly typical ... we'll have a few weeks of normal highs in the 40s, or lower with-snow and ice, then get hit with a 60 degree day or two. Crazy. But all in all, I do consider it a "mild" climate, and I like it!

BusynMember

Crazy, sounds a lot like my son when he explains MO temps. Right, Lil? Up, down, but not TOO down and not TOO cold.

I could live with the in-betweens.

What I can't handle, at least in MO, is their humid soaked summers! I was watching my grandson playing soccer and thought I would wilt. The natives were all seated, looking comfortable. All what one gets used to, methinks.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Even living in Rhinelander where any day in the single digits in winter was a GOOD day, I NEVER once had my locks freeze up on the 2 vehicles I had up there.

Haven't had my locks freeze down by Milwaukee either. What i did have happen a couple of times up in Rhinlander when the temps nosedived from single digits down to double digits below zero was my DOORS freezing up. I've had to crawl into the front seat from the back hatch in both the old 4 runner and the RAV 4 I have now.

I am both large and very arthritic. I am not built to crawl at all.

As of earlier when I went out to clean my car off, all windows but the driver's side one were frozen shut.

BusynMember

Most people, although not all by any means, keep their cars in garages in the cold weather. It must mean something because we didn't have problems with frozen doors etc. either. With a garage, you don't have to scrape the car either.
I like different seasons.

New Leaf

Leafy, think about this. When it gets this cold and your car has been outside overnight, you may not be able to get into it because it's frozen shut. Sometimes you can heat your key to get it in the lock but you still have to be very careful when you try and open the door.
Fun times
:2cold:
Nooooo thank you......I lived on the East Coast until
10. Had my fair share of winters. I remember going to school one spring morning in light jacket, etc. then walking home in a snow storm.
Poor mom would get us all bundled up to go out to play and 30 minutes later we had to use the bathroom.
I will stick with my tropical weather, thank you very much!
:hawaii_girl:
leafy

InsaneCdn

I will stick with my tropical weather, thank you very much!

And in return... you get bugs, and snakes, and all sorts of other creatures...

Whereas, two weeks of -40 or four weeks of -20C really knocks back the pest population. I think I'll keep my winter and pass on the pests, thanks.

BusynMember

Whereas, two weeks of -40 or four weeks of -20C really knocks back the pest population. I think I'll keep my winter and pass on the pests, thanks.
I agree!
Add hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes (California). -40 is rare and as long as you stay where it's warm, it will not knock your home down...it is not dangerous. I know somebody from SC who had to evacuate her house at least once a year because of hurricanes. She as used to it and no big deal to her, but I wouldn't like that. Floods...one more thing.

We don't have many bikini days but Mother Nature also doesn't threaten our lives or homes much where I live and I prefer not to add weather to my worrying nature ;)

Ewwww, I hate bugs. That's one big bonus of winter. Hehe.

New Leaf

And in return... you get bugs, and snakes, and all sorts of other creatures...
No snakes yet......but bugs, yes....instead of lions and tigers and bears, oh my, we have cockroaches, beetles and lizards.....amongst other things. Centipedes are the worst, ouch, nasty stings, though my hens love them as a tasty snack.
Nom,nom.
leafy

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Most people, although not all by any means, keep their cars in garages in the cold weather.

I'm the lucky one who's car is kept in the garage. My husband's could be also but we would have to put his MG in storage. His car and his truck sit outside. Last week we had some of that lovely freezing rain so it took him a while to get into both vehicles as they were both frozen.
I've told him before to put something on the windshield and you can also use plastic garbage bag around the doors but he won't listen to me.
:yapyapyapf: