New weather check. How cold is it?

BusynMember

We're near zero and with the wind chill.....

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

That's cold, even for Wisconsin.

But I heard it's in the 30's down South too!!!! True?

InsaneCdn

Temp is dropping during the day today. We started at -15C, and are supposed to end up at... -30C. (that's about -25F.) And that's before windchill! Overnight they expect -39C with windchill... or, pretty much -40 (same on either C or F scales)

Yup. COLD.

Might have to drive on the highway tonight... with the dogs. Means loading up on road kits, extra food, phone chargers, shovels... just in case.

Lil

Currently 25 and sunny in mid-Mo, but was in the single digits last night and this morning. My phone says it "fells like" 35!...kind of odd for 25 to feel warmer, but I guess that's the sunshine and no wind.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I'm in Northern Illinois so I'm guessing you and I have the same frigid temps. I keep telling myself that spring is not that far off.

THINK SPRING!!

think-spring.jpg

Lil

Generally, yes. The weather here seldom gets below zero and we don't get tons of snow. Definitely better than further north. We have the occasional freaky winter where it's in single digits for weeks on end and have had one actual blizzard that dumped several feet of snow on us in a short time, but they are rare.

SuZir

We are through the first cold bout of the winter and back in really nice winter temps. Currently around 5 to 10 F and rather nice weather for outdoors activities. Bit windy though and will be windier later this week (we do not much use 'wind chill' numbers, but my tablet is so Americanized that it tells that we are currently having wind chill of -15 F.) But anyway, really nice weather again, and one does not need to think if it is too cold to run or cross country ski or for other hard exercising outside, nor worry about car battery if having to 'cold start' the vehicle. Also our new puppy doesn't need coat or shoes for every five minute potty training session outside any more, so makes house training so much easier. When you notice that a puppy has to go, you usually do not have time to put warm clothes on him before he actually does have to go.

We will most likely have few colder spells left before April, but as long as they do not last more than couple of weeks at time, all is dandy.

KTMom91

Been in the 40s lately, dropping below freezing at night. Today is supposed to be mid-50s. So much for warm and sunny California!

InsaneCdn

Below 70's at night, sweater weather for us (sorry!)
I'll trade... I'll take the sweater and sweater weather, and you can have my parka and mukluks and thrummed mittens, and coats for the dogs. They should have their own mukluks, as road salt is hard on paws, but my dogs don't like wearing those.

New Leaf

I'll trade... I'll take the sweater and sweater weather, and you can have my parka and mukluks and thrummed mittens, and coats for the dogs. They should have their own mukluks, as road salt is hard on paws, but my dogs don't like wearing those.
Oh no, no, no, no thank you! I have the shivers, just thinking of it. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more beautiful, then freshly fallen snow, but I cannot take the cold. Too long in the tropical weather......
:oops:
leafy

BusynMember

63 yesterday, 41 today, 25 tonight. Typical Virginia winter!
I actually would think that this is mostly perfect weather. Virginia? Hmmmmmmmm...I know we will move again....

But we will need to stay in the Midwest...all our kids are here. But I sure wish your winters were our all-the-times. I can deal with 25 at night and love the 60's. No coats for me in the 60s.

Lil

We're having weirdness. Yesterday in the teens, then climbed to about 35 overnight. Today it will be steadily dropping to about 15. Then tomorrow it's supposed to be back in the 40's. Weird, even for Missouri.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
The first part of winter was ok, in the 50's and 40's but when it hits 30 and goes down from there I want to make like a bear and hibernate.

Hibernate.png

InsaneCdn

You guys are TOUGH! 5-10 nice outdoor activity weather!!!
That is :censored2: freezing, well, below freezing.
OMG.
brrrrrrrrr.
:rofl:

Yes, great weather for winter outdoor activity. As long as there isn't too much wind. Cross country skiing, snowshoeing, winter hiking, snowmobiling, skating, dog-sledding, downhill skiing/snowboarding... It's got to be "that cold" to be able to enjoy this stuff.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
3 above here in the Milwaukee burbs. Weatherbug for this area is telling me this is bitterly cold, by the way.

Up in Rhinelander, I'd have just been grateful for an above zero day. We got a few inches of snow overnight and I have to clean my car off before I go to PT later today.

That part I'm not looking forward to as the snow will have to be chipped and scraped off.