Newbie hoping to learn lots...

justour2boys

Momto2Boys
Hi all... I'm new to this forum. I have 2 boys, my oldest is 9 and was diagnosis with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) (auditory processing disorder & has 504 plan in school) but I suspect he is also ODD and/or anxiety. My youngest is 6 and I suspect is ADHD/ADD, but we're mid-way through the diagnosis as our next appointment is in Nov.

I think both boys need medications (for different reasons) but my husband does not agree. I guess living in a very stressful household is the way he prefers it! Not me... :whiteflag:

As a newbie... my first question... how can you (as a layperson/parent) determine if your child is ODD or if the defient behavior stems from anxiety?

Also, what is your favorite parenting book for difficult children?

Thanks,
Momto2boys

F

flutterbee

The book recommended the most is The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. It has helped tremendously for many of us to understand where our kids are coming from and how to address/handle the issues.

As far as ODD vs anxiety related behavior....often when you treat the underlying disorder, the ODD behaviors lessen or disappear. ODD is often just an expression for a basket of behaviors that have an underlying cause. ODD can and does stand alone, but for many of our kids it's a symptom rather than the cause.

Welcome to the board.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Just wanted to add my welcome-glad you found us. Who diagnosed you son? Pediatrician?

A good way to go is a nueropsych exam coupled with one by a child psychiatrist. Deciding to medicate is always a hard decision. I know husband was ready to medicate before me but in our case, he was right, our difficult child needed to be medicated.

I agree with Heather, The Explosive Child by Ross Greene is a very good book.

Again, glad you found us, you are not alone.

BusynMember

Hi. I'd have him evaluated by a neuropsychologist. ODD rarely if ever stands alone. And anxiety isn't usually the #1 issue either. Both usually go along with other disorders. How was your son's early development--speech, eye contact with strangers, imaginary play, does he interact appropriately with his peers, can he make transitions well? Any psychiatric or substance abuse problems on either side of his family tree? "The Explosive Child" is good to use before you get an evaluation, but in my opinion GET the evaluation. And I'd use a private neuropsychologist. I've found school distracts really lacking in getting to the true core issues. Welcome! :)

Jena

hi

I just wanted to jump in and welcome you also. Also as it was stated a neuropsychologist exam is so detailed and complete. I took everyone's advice as well and got a neuropysch for my daughter and the information I learned through that testing was imperative and did clear up some answers in my head.

Welcome again