Not too hot or cold in winter???

BusynMember

Ok, as we explore where to go when hubby retires next year, we took our doggies to the dog park yesterday. It was 83 and felt hot in the sun. One dog plopped his butt on the ground in the middle of walking around the dog park and refused to get up! He looked at us and yawned. We finally had to carry him back.

He loves the outdoors but after a while wants the shade and cool. Our dogs are our kids right now so we are now exploring where to go in the U.S. (remember in an RV) that might not get any warmer most days than the 70s. We can make our own shade with umbrellas. But what cities stay in the 60s or 70s during the day? Nights dont matter. We will have heat.

Hawaii isnt an option. I wish, I wish! My husband is anti California and Florida. All other states are an option. Any suggestions to look into? Of course the dogs WILL have air conditioned indoor time too. But we like taking our dogs with us as much as we can.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Is that picture your dogs? What kind are they? Very cute! Are they related?

BusynMember

Yes. Thank you! The one on the far left is a chihuahua shihtzu mix and is shihtzu size and has a calm temperment. He is the one who wouldnt get up...lol. He is lazy. The other dog is a bichon/yorkie mix named Chloe, and she acts all terrior...very silly girl, loves to fetch and bark. Licks a lot too and loves to boss Damian around :)

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
The mountains in Colorado are lovely in the summer. I'm a little partial as that is my home state.
Colo, Utah, Wyo, Mont. These would all be good choices.
Your dogs are adorable!!

BusynMember

Thank you, Tanya. We adore them.

We are going to travel during the winter months so thats what we need to know. In the summer we are staying in the RV as long as we travel, but we will park it in our home state Wisconsin (probably visiting Illinois and Missouri a lot).

PiscesMom

What about North Carolina? My girls and I drove to the Outer Banks a few years ago. We stayed at the KOA, that's the only way it was affordable. It was beautiful!! The sun was very strong, tho.

pasajes4

We have a lot of snowbirds in Texas in the winter. Big Bend National Park is beautiful in the fall and winter. The Texas coast is a go to spot, and you can't beat the Hill Country for it's beauty and cool little towns. Gas prices and food prices are lower than the national average, and the highways/roadways are in good shape. There are quite a few R.V. parks in these destinations. Most Wal Marts allow overnight parking if you find yourself between destinations. It has not been cold enough for more than a very light jacket for the past few winters.

PiscesMom

I was in NC during the summer. It was lovely, but the sun was too hot - we burned then peeled. Well, it was our fault, Im sure.
I read this book, is this kind of what you are doing? It sounds great to travel the country. I tried to link, but wouldn't allow me - it is Winnebago Nation; The RV in American Culture, by James Twitchell.
This is more about the culture of RVing, I think. Can't remember, but i enjoyed it. I would LOVE to spend my life driving around, seeing places. Except I wouldn't be comfortable driving one of those, or doing the hookup stuff.

BusynMember

We are getting a camper, which i think is easier, and we will l just tow our truck behind the camper. Hub will drive.

We will do it as long as we like it or, alternately, as long as we can. I think I will love the culture! I am very much a dress down, no frills, down to earth person who loves people who are not so conforming. Cant wait!!!

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
So jealous Swot! This our dream too someday.

We had a pop up when the kids were small and went everywhere, teens still pitch tents in the yard!

Stay south in the winter months!

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
We have a lot of snowbirds in Texas in the winter. Big Bend National Park is beautiful in the fall and winter. The Texas coast is a go to spot, and you can't beat the Hill Country for it's beauty and cool little towns. Gas prices and food prices are lower than the national average, and the highways/roadways are in good shape. There are quite a few R.V. parks in these destinations. Most Wal Marts allow overnight parking if you find yourself between destinations. It has not been cold enough for more than a very light jacket for the past few winters.
A lot of Canadians I am sure!