Omega 3 post question

So I was browsing the site and forum and saw the Omega 3 post. I found it interesting and did some searches online. I ran across an article / study that discussed correlation between the increased people with ADHD and the decrease of the following in diets.

- polyunsaturated fatty acids ( omega 3)
- zinc
- magnesium
- iron

I like so many, have a difficult child with ADHD and other mental behavioral issues and he is on medication. His medication has a huge effect on his appetite and I have never watched or been to concerned about what he eats as long as he eats. So there is no doubt in my mind that he is not getting the recommended amounts of the above.

Has anyone tried increasing their childrens in take and if so was it merely change in diet and foods or was the supplement route taken.

TerryJ2

Yes, but it's still really hard for us to get our difficult child to swallow large pills.
And he hates fish ... unless it's totally covered in breading. :) Which he's allergic to.
Now that he's mostly off of gluten, we no longer have to supplement iron. He was leaching iron and other minerals and vitamins because his body couldn't retain anything. It's been about 4 yrs and he is absorbing much more.
I suspect if other kids are also gluten intolerant, they are also leaching valuable nutrients, and wouldn't have to take so many supplements if their diets simply eliminated gluten (and milk products or whatever they are allergic to or have sensitivities to).
In addition, so much of our food is processed, we have to add vitamins and minerals back in.
We have noticed behavior improvements with-our son when he is not on gluten. If he stays overnight at a friend's house and eats junk food, it shows up within a few hrs in the form of anger, impatience and sometimes violence, as well as stomach aches and headaches.

H

HaoZi

It's so individual that it takes some testing and a lot of experimenting. Mine does best with extra omega 3s, minimal processed/cured meats, and organic milk. For her, gluten intake makes no difference and adding dark chocolate helps.

Methuselah

Hi Down. My son takes an iron supplement, because he has iron deficiency. It helped his ADD so much he is off ADD medications altogether.

An iron supplement isn't something you want to give your child without talking to your doctor first, as too much iron is poisonous. The next time he/she has to have lab work drawn ask the doctor to check their iron saturation levels. (I knew to ask this, because Slugger was starting to eat weird things like raw flour and bitter cocoa powder. :-/)