One very odd evaluation and SD questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sosotired

As part of sons evaluation with the neuropsychologist, I revisited a sensitive topic to provide her the entire picture of sons issues. She included the sensitive topic in detail in the final report. I asked her to provided an edited version for the school since the sensitive topic is not related to his educational needs and I KNOW school would take it completely wrong. The nueropsych did so but added a line regarding the report being edited at the parents request. Does the school have the right to request the unedited report if I haven't signed anything to provide access to all of sons medical records?

Really odd questions but I know how the school will treat the sensitive topic and it will not go well for my son.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I had our Nuero-psychiatric edit our report, because some of the stuff is none of the Schools business. You do not have to supply them with the nitty gritty details of your personal history.
She omitted things that I felt would make me look bad as a Mom and also let them know too much about me. They do not need to know I have BiPolar (BP) or all of the facts about my Family. They also do not need to know all of the medications K has been on.

K has a distorted view on somethings so on different days she feels people hate her. On one day she was having issues with me... not needed in the report. in my opinion

I believe the SD can not demand any Medical Info unless you release it. I also think you can ask the Nuero-psychiatric to change the wording.
She may say no, but, when I explained why I wanted the "Mom" part left out, she was in full agreement.
Mom's are always blamed for our kids issues, it is a very sensitive subject.... she knew I was not at fault, but the SD might not understand this.

The Nuero-psychiatric works for you, maybe ask for a edited School version, the way you want it and a Doctor/Therapist etc. version.
Or else just tell the SD you had to edit some personal family history that was confidential. None of their business. Leave it at that. If they ask.
They may not care about it all, you never know!

klmno

If it was a true neuropsychologist report, done privately at your expense, it is different than the sd psychiatric's report done at the achool's expense. If they pay for it, they get all of it- at least in my state. You can have a written letter by you added to the file if you want to clarify anything. I am in the middle of something similar with my son.

However, I just recently learned that the neuropsychologist report report is supposed to be kept with personal files and not open to everyone at the sd. I'm not so sure that is true or followed, but if info is only in the report and not anywhere else, many people will not be reading it. I witheld a few pages from a private report from the sd several years ago - it was about "history" and I knew the teachers would try to discuss it with my son if they knew aout it. I never heard the end of it and got accused of witholding information off and on and still it is an issue. I don't know what can really be done. I plan to type someething up and have it put in the file.

tictoc

When we did a private neuropsychologist evaluation for Bug, our neuropsychologist advised us NOT to sign a release for the SD until we had reviewed the final report, for exactly the reasons you are discussing. In the end, we did not need any edits to the report, but we still opted not to sign the release and to deliver the neuropsychologist report to the school ourselves.

The SD doesn't need to know everything. They weren't necessarily happy with our approach, but they don't really need to be. I agree with the previous poster that you can add a line saying that you edited some parental history. If you haven't already signed a release, I wouldn't do it. Have the neuropsychologist send her evaluation to the SD through you.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I hand delivered mine to the IEP team. I was assuming that it was a private one in my prior statements.
Ours is only looked at by the people involved in her team meetings, when we met for the IEP process. (Or so we are told).... But I have seen the locked file it is in and have no reason to doubt it.
But like KLMNO, some people like to discuss these things, so depending on your SD I would leave it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.