Our prescription coverage changed and we are TOAST...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The GI nurse called back yesteray and said she'll ask the doctor if it's okay to switch to generic or if she wants us to appeal with a letter from her. Last time I tried to appeal a specialized blood test for difficult child 1, it was denied... twice. :(

witzend

We have UHC medication with Caremark Rx. It used to be medco, but they changed it. We research the programs very closely every year before we re-enroll. I also do the insurance purchasing for the employer I work for, and he uses Kaiser. Usually the prescription plan is a seperate issue from the Doctor coverage. We go with what they call the "Preferred Provider Option", which means that we have to use doctors on their list to get the full coverage, and there's no annual deductible, just a co-pay. We can go outside of the network, but it costs more. We both had to change doctors when we went from BC to UHC. But with all of them, we negotiate the Rx coverage seperately.

We also do the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) on payroll. We have them hold pre-tax dollars out of the paycheck, and they mail us a check for any prescription or doctor/test money we spend. The coolest thing is that they take the money out of our checks at a regular rate throughout the year, but they reimburse us in advance right away, and when the annual amount is gone, it's gone. So, they take $58 twice a month, but if we spend $250 in January, we get a check for $250 in a week or two.

You might be stuck for this year, but definitely be sure when your enrollment period is for next year, and really investigate your options before you sign up again. And definitely do the FSA or whatever they call it at your company if they offer it.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Witz, we don't get an option for choosing a separate rx plan with the PPO, unfortunately. You either choose the HMO or PPO (I think there is a middle choice as well). We do utilize a pre-tax flex spending account for health care expenses each year, up to $5,000. We've already claimed all of that amount for this year. difficult child 2's braces had a lot to do with that!

Who knows, maybe the generic azathioprine will be o.k. for difficult child 1. I'll wait to hear from the GI next week.