Prescription question

SRL

Had to chuckle at this - I asked husband just this afternoon how on earth the brand name companies are going to be able to continue to command the ridiculous $$ for their drugs (when generics are available) when no insurance company will pay it. Eventually, they're going to have to quit charging their exorbitant fees, but I don't think it will be in time for Boo.

I wonder if insurance company contracts keep some of the brand name companies going. When the generic for Allegra-D came out, my insurance wouldn't cover the cheap generic, but as long as the doctor filled in the "do not substitute" box they would fully cover the more expensive brand name.

At a recent checkup my gyn was quite surprised that my HRT was still brand name, as a cheaper generic is available and he didn't specify brand name on the script.

witzend

Had to chuckle at this - I asked husband just this afternoon how on earth the brand name companies are going to be able to continue to command the ridiculous $$ for their drugs (when generics are available) when no insurance company will pay it.

My theory is that Caremark has a deal with one or two manufacturers and Express Scrips has a deal with the others. One way or another they're selling their drugs. Mail order pharmacies are just plain storage facilities.

witzend

When the generic for Allegra-D came out, my insurance wouldn't cover the cheap generic, but as long as the doctor filled in the "do not substitute" box they would fully cover the more expensive brand name.

Those days are long gone.