Panicking, need learning tools resources

Hanging-On

One person told me to calm down because difficult child is ONLY 7.5 yr old, and not knowing how to read/write/math is no big thing . That it will come later. But I'm like each day goes by and he's not learning anything!! The babysitter isn't teaching him, and as of today's IEP meeting he's not being placed into school yet. (I'll explain later). So when, and more importantly WHO is going to start teaching this kid.....well I think I'm the one who has to do something becuase no on else is. I'M TERRIFIED! :smile: I'm an accountant, not a teacher. I don't know the first thing in teaching a normal kid, let alone a kid with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified and coginitive disabilities. I've been totally destoryed today since our meeting, because how am I suspose to work AND keep difficult child home? This is totally destroying me financially, but more importantly difficult child isn't getting any help. Well alittle while ago, something inside me clicked on...my stubborness and my "I'll show you! He can learn!" determination.

Anyway, I've looked on-line and I can't seem to find teaching tools for the 3-R's for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified. I've found stuff for social interaction, and search/find for autistic kids; but nothing about the basics for 1st grade for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified kids. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look? Thanks.

BusynMember

WHY ISN'T HE IN SCHOOL? Why isn't he getting special service???? Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified is my son's diagnosis. My son started early education at three years old or he wouldn't be where he is now. You need to get him into Special Education NOW. It's outrageous. Of all the kids on earth, kids with cognitive disabilities/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) BELONG in school and by age three. I'm stunned. I'd NEVER stand for that. Do you have an advocate? Have you called your State Dept. of Public Ed????? I'd post this on Spec. Ed 101. Every child is entitled to a FREE APPROPRIATE PUBLIC EDUCATION! There are NO exceptions.

tiredmommy

Try to connect with Marguerite. She's in Australia so her school system is completely different but she is homeschooling her Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) difficult child.