Paradoxical Commandments

Fran

Former desparate mom
I thought this was something good to think about. Fran

Anyway: Then Paradoxical Commandments

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

from “the Paradoxical Commandments” by Dr. Kent M. Keith

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I grew up with Kent Keith. His Dad was a Marine and his family was stationed with my family in several places. He's a good man. I haven't seen him since I was in my late 20's but I've enjoyed following his career.

I love that you are quoting him, Fran. Very cool.

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
Susie, pretty cool that you know the author. It really helps to keep you from using excuses to not be your best.

N

Nomad

Haven't seen this in awhile. It is something to think about. Kinda reminds me of something Mother Theresa wrote. Many thanks for posting it.

witzend

Hmm.....

It seems to me that this presupposes that other people always think the worst of you and nothing good will ever come of anything good you do.

To be sure, from time to time someone will be entirely selfish and resent what we did, sometimes they won't notice. If I thought people felt like the above description as a general rule, I'd probably never do anything nice for anyone again in my life. I do good things and work hard because that's what I want of me, not in spite of how some negative person may react.

Last edited:

Fran

Former desparate mom
Witz, I am presuming that for the most part we do what we do because it is the right thing to do. There is however a percentage of cynical people who like to point out negative motives or selfish motives. It would make one be more closed and less willing to be vulnerable.
There is a lot to be said for being anonymous to keep oneself protected from criticism or judgement.

Anyhow, I take the commandments to be a reminder to ignore negativity and keep your intent pure.

witzend

I can see what you and the author are saying, Fran. I guess it kind of makes me sad that some people may have given up on doing the right thing for the sake of altruism because of what they perceive other people's reactions might be. I think I find it easier to "Do unto others". That way I'm holding myself to my own high standards, and expecting no reward other than my own satisfaction.

Last edited:

Fran

Former desparate mom
You are right to keep to your own standards witz. This probably won't apply to you then. I found it helpful and just wanted to share.