Please rattle some beads

DammitJanet

Almost 4 pounds is a very good sign! Heck, I have seen babies discharged at a little over 5! Sounds like this baby has some good old fighting genes in him.

trinityroyal

Adding in my prayers for the little one.

3 lbs 14 oz is a good healthy weight for a preemie. I've been doing a TON of research on preemies, prognosis, etc. At 28 weeks, babies have something like a 90-95% chance of having no long-term problems. Add in a good healthy weight, and the steroids for lung development on top of that, and it sounds like this little one has the best possible start, all things considered.

Trinity

donna723

Sending up lots of prayers for this tiny new little boy.

Actually though, for a preemie, that's a pretty substantial weight. With all the interventions he's receiving, hopefully he should do fine. They do such amazing things with preemies these days. There was just a story in yesterdays newspaper about a baby girl here who weighed just 13 ounces at birth! She just celebrated her first birthday and is now a healthy, normal 13 pound baby, still tiny for her age but perfectly healthy and happy!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Preemies these days are just amazing! I know when my sister was born (1987), she was in NICU for 10 days. She was only a few weeks early but they wanted to get her to 5lbs before she went home. (she was 4 lbs 7oz at birth). I went to see her in the hospital and the nurses let me wander around and look in the other bassinets as long as I didn't touch anything. (There weren't any other parents there at the time and I was 17) I was just in awe of the size of some of these babies! One of them was so tiny that it appeared he/she (not sure) didn't even have a .....um....bottom crack. A guy I worked with had a son who was early and weighed around 1 lb 12 oz. He had some issues for a while but I ran into them recently and he's caught up now and doing great. (I think he's around 5 now)

But what strikes me as funny is that 6 years after my sister was born, my OTHER sister was born weighing 1/2 ounce more and was released pretty quickly. Step-mom had a c-section so they were both in for about 3 or 4 days but sis was sent home with her. She was never in NICU although they did have her under a warmer for a day or so until her temp stabalized.

donna723

A lot has to do with the maturity of the baby too, not just their size. My grandson was just born two months ago, a full three weeks before his due date. He still weighed 8 lbs. 2 oz. and was completely 'done' at 37 weeks, ready to go. He has a little girl cousin born two weeks before him - she was a week overdue and still weighed barely 5 pounds. If she had been born at 37 weeks she would have been really tiny. A lot just depends on the individual baby, but keeping in mind that they are considered 'full term' anytime after 37 weeks, your nieces baby isn't as far off as it seems.

Lothlorien

The medical care given for preemies is pretty amazing these days. Years and years ago, it was rare for a preemie this early to live and if they did they had serious complications. However, now, a lot of preemies live normal, healthy lives. It's really amazing! I'm sure your nephew is in quite capable hands....but nonetheless, those beads are rattling! Keep us posted.