Poor Duckie...

tiredmommy

is sick again. She has yet another bad cold with a pretty nasty cough. We've doubled the Asmanex dose already and will most like have to start the prednisolone tonight.

Here we go again.... :hammer:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
O.M.G.!!!

What is WITH you guys? Any chance this is leftover from what she just had (I'm thinking sinus infection...)?

I'm so sorry. I hope it doesn't last long. :(

M

ML

I am sorry to hear this. It has been a bad season. I am just now over my 3rd cold/virus in 4 months. I hope she feels better soon. That prednisone is no fun. Hugs to you both. ML

Fran

Former desparate mom
Poor Duckie is right. The two of you have been sick almost constantly for a while now. Is your heating filter clean? Are the two of you infecting each other? Maybe having the heating/ac ducts vacuumed would help.
All those adverts for things to boost your resistance may be helpful. I don't have much advice but I'm sure you already did all the things I suggested anyhow.

Hugs to you and Duckie.

tiredmommy

Thanks GVC, DQL, ML & Fran. We're lucky that we have radiant baseboard heating. No ducts or filters. I think each of our resistances are low and we're open season to every stray bug out there. I was hoping she would get better after being off from school this week and away from the cesspool of germs that an elementary school can become in cold/flu season.

I put in a call to the service, waiting for a call back. I may run pick up a movie or two... nothing to do today and no church for her tomorrow.

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh, my, I am SO SORRY! It is bad enough that you are sick, but to have Duckie sick also is horrible!

When you go to the doctor, have them test for strep. Also have them test the OTHER family members to see if someone is a carrier and reinfecting you over and over.

I was in 1st or 2nd grade and it seemed we had one round of strep after another. Finally my bro's ENT made the entire family come in to be tested. Turns out my DAD was a carrier for beta-hemolytic strep (not a common type? or a worse type?). He had NEVER had strep while the rest of us would get over it and get it again, over and over. Once Dad was treated for strep we all got over it and stayed over it.

Just a suggestion. Whatever bug you have, someone in the house could be a carrier. And this kind of strep isn't just sore throats.

Gentle cyber hugs to all of you. Feel better soon!

tiredmommy

None of us have had strep to have brought it into the house...

The covering doctor called (he was so young he sounded like Dougie Howser, lol!)

I gave her 2 tsp prednisolone and 2 puffs of her Proventil at noon. I'm to repeat the Proventil every 4 hours as needed and give another 1.5 tsp prednisolone tonight. Then 1.5 tsp prednisolone twice a day for three days. And I get to call the doctor on Monday.

LittleDudesMom

Geeze TM, you two have been sick more than healthy this winter.

Sorry. Hope she responds quickly to the treatement.

Both of you need to just get under the covers and have husband wait on you this evening.

Sharon

tiredmommy

Gcv- she's always kind of squirrely when she's sick... so it seems to be a wash behavior-wise. But at least she's breathing better!

LDM- husband isn't exactly the "take care of the sick family" sort of guy. I'm lucky he lowers standards for me to be sick and he helps makes dinner, lol!

KTMom- She's enjoying being babied and watching movies. We've seen "Another Cinderella Story" starring Selena Gomez. I was not impressed. We're watching "My Girl" right now, I hope she takes the little boy's death well. husband didn't see a problem with our allergic and asthmatic child watching a movie where a child dies from an anaphylactic reaction (???). Wish us luck!

tiredmommy

Well, she's having trouble sleeping from all the coughing. :( I gave her another round of Proventil. I have her out on the sectional couch with me so I can be near her and husband can sleep. No sense in him getting sick too. I have a feeling she'll be off school on Monday to see the doctor. She just doesn't look or seem right.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Do you guys have a nebulizer for her?

Hope the Proventil opens things up so she can stop coughing, and that you don't have to make an ER trip tonight....

tiredmommy

Do you guys have a nebulizer for her?

Hope the Proventil opens things up so she can stop coughing, and that you don't have to make an ER trip tonight....

We don't have one as of yet... it hasn't been needed. This episode may change that. I hope we don't need the ER as well... it's snowing and the roads are pretty slick.

tiredmommy

Thanks for the soup and good wishes! She's kind of lethargic and pale. I think no school tomorrow. Just what I need after a week off for winter break! :hammer:

TerryJ2

Aw, so sorry.
It's going around here, too.
I hope she's better in a day or two. Maybe this is the worst of it.

R

runawaybunny

tiredmommy, Does your family take probiotics or eat foods with active cultures? There have been some pretty good studies that show that they help decrease the severity and duration of colds. I'm not 100% positive but it seems logical that you could probably get the same result from eating yogurt with active cultures or kefir.

From Pub medication: Effect of a dietary supplement containing probiotic bacteria plus vitamins and minerals on common cold infections and cellular immune parameters

CONCLUSION: These data indicate that the intake of a dietary supplement containing probiotic bacteria plus vitamins and minerals during a period of at least three months in winter/spring may reduce the incidence and the severity of symptoms in common cold infections in otherwise healthy adults. This may be due to stimulated cellular immunity.