Power of attorney..

Discussion in 'Parent Emeritus' started by Deezhandle, Oct 10, 2008.

  1. Deezhandle

    Deezhandle Guest

    I'm just curious to ask if anyone here had adult children with disabilities that they did not think "guardianship", or "conservatorship" fit their disabled children's(child's) need(s); yet manufactured a Power of attorney with them to step in IF necessary(i.e. upon their request)?

    We see "durable" POA's all the time( for the elderly)...yet they can be readily "constructed" for parents of adult children such as ours as well(and typically only arise if our YA's are hospitalized)...

    Anyone here have experience in this?

  2. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I havent used this for my difficult child but I did have a POA for my son in the military when he first went in. He made me his POA right after he graduated boot and before he left for his training so I could pay any of his bills and do anything needed while he was out in the field.

    Not exactly the same thing but it did allow me to step in and sign for him a few times when needed.
  3. Suz

    Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

    Hi daughter,

    No, I haven't used one but I wanted to welcome you to the family. I hope you'll take the time to introduce yourself and provide a signature. The signatures help us remember your story so you don't have to keep repeating it.

    Again, welcome! :cheers:

  4. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    I've had a Durable PoA that authorizes me to make school, medical etc. etc. decisions for easy child/difficult child and difficult child. It has been a lifesaver in our situation
    although GFGmom has decided three months before difficult child turns 18 that SHE
    is the Mom and SHE is keeping him. It's too late to fight it in court but at
    least I have protected him for many years (the last eight living in our home) and his big brother for 21. Good luck. DDD
  5. Steely

    Steely Active Member

    Welcome Deez........
    Glad to have you on our board.
    I am also curious about POA, as a matter of fact, that concept never even crossed my mind until you posted. I have a son who just turned 18 that I am trying to continue to get help for, despite his age, so this is an interesting concept.
    I hope someone else does have experience with this............anyone?
  6. trinityroyal

    trinityroyal Well-Known Member

    Welcome Deez.

    This is a great question and something that many of us might need to look into.

    One of the things that we have done for our difficult child is to have him declared "unemancipated", which allows us to make key decisions and speak to social service agencies on his behalf.

    However, we should look into POA because unemancipation is pretty limited in what it allows you to do and control.

    Canadian law might be different, but if I find out anything of note during a meeting with the family lawyers in the next couple of weeks I will post about it.