Privacy Question About This Forum

HeadlightsMom

Hello all! I was just sending out some of our Christmas cards via email (as we tend to do more and more) and was suddenly reminded of you all. Nope, I don't know any of your names (but I love your screen names!). Nope, I don't know any of your faces (but I know your hearts by sight on this site!). I value your insights and your humor. I like "virtually" knowing you all -- wherever and whomever you are! :D

So.........I felt like sending you all a copy of our Christmas card (virtually). There is no identifying name, nor address, etc on our card. Just "Merry Christmas -- 2015". However........it does have some pictures of us (me, husband, difficult child, our grandson and our dog).

Not sure how that goes with privacy regs on this site. I suppose our faces are identifying info. Is it better not to share it?

I won't post anything until I hear back from a few of you about what's appropriate. And I will abide by your rules on it.

But I did want you all to know I'm thinking about you and wishing you all a very Merry Christmas! (and a Happy Festivus, too -- for Seinfeld fans!) :D

Let me know what's appropriate. Thanks!

HeadlightsMom

Aha! I just saw there's a Privacy Policy listed on Emeritus Forum (which makes sense). I read it thoroughly and see it's not appropriate to show our faces. Makes sense and I suspected that may be the case.

Thank you for posting the policy!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Your kind holiday wishes came through HLM, loud and clear......thank you.

And, I am a Seinfeld fan so thanks for the Fesitvus wishes!! I grew up in NY, 2 towns away from Jerry and as former New Yorker, the Seinfeld show was a constant reminder of home for me. We still watch it on occasion and it still cracks me up.

BusynMember

We did have a Christmas card exchange for the few who signed up for it. Kind of sad as not that long ago, I'd have a list of twenty people to send cards to and this year it was down to about six. But maybe it will get bigger.

Some of us do know each other. We have had get t0gethers in various towns. I have not gone. Bad timing every time so far.

Some people talk on the phone.

Some are FB friends.

There are ways to keep this site private yet get to know one another as real people, if that is what some want to do. I was timid about that when I first came on here because the group of posters had known each other forever and I'm shy. If this group did it, I would not be shy. I feel at home now.

I don't care if people know who I am, as long as it's not written on this site. Anyone can PM somebody and see if they are open to, say, talking on the phone. The worst thing that can happen is the person says, "I'd rather stay private."

HeadlightsMom

RE -- Gotta love Festivus (for the rest of us)! I swear, husband and I could live our whole lives on quotes from Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory and Star Trek (plus I'd have to toss a little I Love Lucy in for good measure). The classics! :D

dstc_99 --- And a great big Happy Holidays to you, too! Lookin' goooood in Seahawkdom for postseason! (pssst....husband let the cat out of the bag that....ahem.... "someone" will be seeing a new Seahawks jersey tomorrow.............YES! Go Hawks! :D

MWM -- Oh, interesting! Thanks for sharing that with me. I think I've somewhat detected on an occasional post that a few of you know each other a bit better (aside from this site). Well, I've only been with this site for a few months, buuuuuuut.........there are probably 10 different names (including you, MWM!) that already stick with me as people I'd love to run into some time! :D (she said, realizing that many of us may be smattered across the globe! LOL!

Well, thank you all and a MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HOLIDAYS, HAPPY HANUKKAH, HAPPY KWANZAA, AND HAPPY FESTIVUS (she said, hoping she's covered the bases!)

Last edited:

HeadlightsMom

MWM -- Part Dieux......... I never saw that there was a Christmas card opportunity for this site. This year? Admittedly, though, I'm not on here consistently. I mean, I try to show up (and love it!) when I do. But sometimes a week or 2 may slide away without me popping on (busy, vacation, visitors, etc) so I could've missed it.

I'm not terribly private about most things. I am fairly extroverted about most things. I wouldn't mind people knowing MY face.....in fact, I kinda like the idea.

However, I realize that a large chunk of what I share on here is about difficult child (and others related to him). I'd rather difficult child's stuff stay private as there are safety factors involved (for him and for us). Long story. But there is a reason we have a home alarm system.

But I love good, supportive, connecting, exploring friendships wherever I find 'em! :D

BusynMember

HLM, it is on the Watercooler.
I don't care if people see me either. Some, mostly oldsters, have seen pictures of my children too, but that is in private, not on here. Although I have not gone to any of the meet-ups (which are often more than I can afford in hotels) I have been in e-mail and Facebook touch with some. Some people have even met entire families.

It all depends on how you feel and what you want to do. On this site, however, we are anonymous.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
10857737_10153094456844453_3161772380372304884_n.jpg
F
"The tradition of Festivus begins with the airing of grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people! And now you're gonna hear about it!"

HeadlightsMom

dstc-99 -- Fingers crossed for a jersey in your near future! :D

MWM -- Oh, ok, I'm beginning to get the picture. Thanks for cluing me in!

RE --- And then The Feats of Strength! No, please, not The Feats of Strength! Let's rumble! :D