Question about selling stuff

klmno

I have a piano listed on crai**list. Several people have seem interested then back out. Last night a man came by with his daughter and neither seemed to know diddly about pianos but he said he wanted to buy it right then and we agreed on a price. Then he acted like he was going to pick it up and move it himeslf. There's no way one single man can move a piano by himself, not even having a dolly or help. I looked at him strangely and he said he would give me a $25 deposit and come to get the piano later after lining up help and asked if he could have a few days to a week to get it. I said fine and he gave me $25. Then he grabbed the bench and ran out of the door with it and said he was taking it since he'd paid the deposit. He did it so adamantly I was a little afraid to say anything.

Now I'm wondering, should I really expect him to come back for the piano and pay the rest, or did he just want to pay $25 for the bench? I emailed him earlier today asking when he would be back and he hasn't responded.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I don't know about his intentions, but deposits are generally held so that person that paid it will keep whatever deal was made.

IOW - his $25 was his gaurantee he'd really be back to get it, and pay you the rest; if he backs out, you get to keep his $25 for your time waiting on him. So if it was truly a deposit, he shouldn't have taken the bench.

But who knows.