Questions about testing

hearthope

I took easy child to see psychiatrist today.
We who know her thought possible ADD.

The psychiatrist ordered an I.Q. test and a personality test.

I wondered if anyone had done a personality test? And what they might be looking for?

Also any suggestions for my line of questioning would be appreciated! I failed at this once before with my difficult child.

She also asked if I had done a drug test, when I could catch my breath, I said no.

She said that was the first thing I should do, so I bought a test on the way home and we did it ~~NEGATIVE

So, now that I can breath ~ any one have any suggestions? ADD was never mentioned, only the two test above?????
?????

Thanks,
HH

P.S. Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to go with the questions

smallworld

Both my difficult children have done personality testing. It generally looks at psychological functioning and can assess for mood issues like anxiety, depression, psychosis, etc. If you are concerned about ADD, you might want to ask the psychiatrist if the psychologist (I assume) administering the testing can also perform a computerized attention test like the IVA.

oceans

They gave my difficult child a personality test when he was in the psychiatric hospital. I think they said it was done to test his thinking. I think they wanted to figure out the reasons he was acting the way he was, and saying the things he was. They thought it was off base. They did things like Ink blots. At the other psychiatric hospital they read the results and were wondering about a personality disorder at first.

hearthope

Thank you for the responses.

SW~ What does IVA stand for?

OCEANS~ Thanks, I will have to read up on personality disorders.
Everything I researched has led me to think ADD, I guess I need to dig deeper.

One last question ~~ She is 17, have I missed something all these yrs? She is very happy, carefree and forgetful.
She went from honors classes to failing a subject last year.

Her bro was missing or locked up and I was in a state of depression and not really there for her.

I and therapists thought it was all the disruption at home.

My easy child asked to be tested after talking with another student that struggled with grades and was tested put on medications and was having a much easier time with studies and attention

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
What tests did they give? The most common that I know of are the Myers-Briggs and the FIRO-B. If the kids are older, they also can give the Strong Interest Inventory (not for diagnostics, though). This is in addition to the battery of various IQ measurment tests.

The personality tests are usually used to indicate how a person views the world, other people, and situations. Very good information for understanding how you (or your child) perceive things and approach/process situations.

Look up Myers-Briggs, and you'll get a million hits. Me, I'm an 'ENTP'. My sons are both 'INTP'. Fun stuff, you should look into it.

IQ tests are just that- IQ tests. In addition to the standard test where you get a number, you might also want to make sure the newer tests are also administered for specific intelligence types(there are at least seven identified and specific types, each with its own set of characteristics). difficult child 1, my ADD angel, has very high spacial intelligence, but somewhat lower in other areas. difficult child 2 is very high in analytical intelligence, low in spatial, median in most of the others.

Again, this could be valuable information, and for my kids explains why difficult child 1 is so creative and artistic (and mathematically challenged), while difficult child 2 is so analytical and artistically challenged.

The more info you have, the better you're able to try and understand your kids. Of course, it doesn't mean squat when you're dealing with a headstrong difficult child, though. It only frustrates you more because you know their strengths and weaknesses, yet it doesn't help one stinkin bit. Helps the docs and therapists, though, in formulating treatment plans and schemes.

:hammer:

Mikey

DammitJanet

Personality testing isnt horrible or scary. The most popular is probably the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory Or MMPI. It asks a ton of questions and depending on how you answer it, that can tell a lot about you. There are others that they give too.

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dammit Janet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personality testing isnt horrible or scary. The most popular is probably the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory Or MMPI. It asks a ton of questions and depending on how you answer it, that can tell a lot about you. There are others that they give too. </div></div>

Thanks, DJ. I was trying to remember that one, but couldn't dredge it up. Another good test.

Mikey

smallworld

IVA stands for Integrated Visual and Auditory Continuous Performance Test.

My son recently underwent a neuropsychologist evaluation, and the personality tests he took as part of that evaluation were the Rorschach Inkblot Test, the Personality Inventory for Youth (PIY) and the Roberts Apperception Test for Children - 2nd Edition (RATC-2). They measured social-emotional functioning.

Martie

Persoanlity testing is looking for "underlying disorders of thought" and sometimes belief patterns. I would not consider the Meyers-Briggs or the Strong clinical instruments. They are normed on "normal" populations. However, this does not mean they do not yield interesting information--just not diagnostic information.

The MMPI is very clinical and if the person is truthful, it picks up personality disorders, as well as traits that do not rise to diagnosis very well.

I detect some confusion in this thread. "Personality tests" are directed at constructs that are not nearly as objectively demonstrable as something such as ADD. The Rorschach (ink-blot test) is only as good as the person interpreting it. That could be said of an objective rating scale such as the BASC or Conners' also (if you make scoring errors, the results will not be valid.) However, the Rorschach's interpretation is very sujective. The interrater reliability between independent scorers in not good. That is why you want someone who is well trained and uses the Rorschach frequently for it to be valid. Personally, I would NEVER let a school psychologist administer a Rorschach to my ex-difficult child, and they certainly wanted to.

Just my .02

Martie

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #663366"> here's my guess as to why this particular type of testing is being ordered & why psychiatrist requested you do a drug test.

it's not the norm for 17yo's to see ADD medications. however, adderall & ritalin are *hot* drugs at the schools & on the streets. kid are taking them to get high but also taking them during testing time to stay up & cram & to be more focused during tests. i suspect psychiatrist is concerned that your daughter is drug seeking for these purposes. psychiatrist doesn't know your daughter ~~~ does he/she know your son? psychiatrist is looking for dots to connect.

by the way, i in no way mean to imply that your daughter is drug seeking. i'm just suggesting why psychiatrist is going this route.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

K

Kjs

Sd psychologist called me yesterday and said they will begin testing. Will they be doing personality testing? I would like that since he has so much anxiety and really thinks some bazarre things at times. Do I need to ask for it, and if so, what is the name of one that would be good to ask for?

FYI, prior to the SD psychologist calling me yesterday, i recieved an email from a social worker at the middle school. She told me that the SD psychologist will be going on FMLA soon, so there won't be anyone to test difficult child. she stated that her and the Special Education teacher would be doing it. I wrote her back and told her no. If SD psychologist will be on leave, they have someone to replace her. I wanted a psychologist to do the testing.

smallworld

Kjs, see Martie's post above. She does NOT recommend that an SD do personality testing. Rather, it should be done privately by a professional very experienced in its administration.

KFld

If your daughter is still in school, I would ask the school to evaluate her for ADHD. When my son was tested there was a form with many many questions that was filled out by myself, my son, quite a few of his teachers, the school social worker and then compared, rated, and passed onto his pediatrician. He scored very high for ADHD. I cannot remember what this form was called, but I guess it's what they use to evaluate and diagnose ADHD in our school systems.
Some doctors believe that if you place a child on adhd medications and they improve, it's adhd, if not, then it isn't because they say adhd medications won't do a thing for someone who doesn't have it. I didn't really go that route, but I've hard some do.

hearthope

Sorry it has taken so long for me to respond ~ To say it has been hectic at the shop is an understatement.

Karen ~ I went through our school system with difficult child and his testing ~ I learned to never do it again! I am sure all systems have there differences. I used a family reference for independent testing with easy child.

I thank you all for the responses. It is reassuring. Kris I understand the drug angle (I wondered myself)

Martie thank you for for clarifying the different test.

My easy child has always been "blond" if you know what I mean. It has just become really noticable with more responsibilty on her shoulders.

I guess it all depends on who is testing her and how she is feeling the day of the test as to what the results will be.

We have one on 4/9 and one on 4/10 then we go back the following mon for results.

Thanks again for the reassurance!
HH