Quick question

P

PatriotsGirl

difficult child has often talked about bartending. husband and I both bartended and we think she would make a really good one. Hours are perfect, she is very pretty and she has never had an issue with alcohol - she doesn't drink.

Groupon came out with a deal this morning for bartending school - $199 instead of the normal $599 and the offer job placement upon completion.

I want to get this for difficult child to take right after her 18th birthday. She is all about it and I feel it would be an investment in her future. Sort of teach them how to fish kind of thing.....she could actually be working before Thanksgiving!

What do you think?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, heaven knows the money is good, work is fairly steady. If you don't think alcohol would be a problem for her, I'd say jump on it. Though since both your and husband have worked as bartenders I'd be sure to pass on safety tips on how to deal with drunks and customers who will hit on her........and those ones who will NOT take no for an answer.

Would be a good way to put herself through school.

busywend

Go for it! I wish I had done this years ago. I always thought it would be a good backup plan for if I ever needed a new way to get income.

DDD

I think it's a good idea. She is interested. You all have experience for guidance. Sounds like a win/win.

Believe it or not we thought about bartending school for our alcoholic easy child/difficult child. How's that for strange?
It wouldn't be placing him in temptations way...he's there anyway and popular with the Owner and the patrons. Sigh!

DDD

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Oldest is a bartender. She still job hops every six months or so, but seems to always find something (although she's running out of options, since the bartender community in this town is tight). I think it's a good investment. It's a natural difficult child job because of the instant gratification of cash in your pocket at the end of every shift.

DammitJanet

I always thought about that too...lol. When I was younger I was either going to go to bar tending school or learn to be a mechanic. Didnt do either one...lmao. I wanted to work the pit crews for NASCAR. Sigh

keista

DITTO everyone. I tended bar but learned on the job. I also waited tables which is more work, but the money can be just as good and the hours just as flexible. Certainly great for putting herself through school and also it's a great 'fallback' job if there are layoffs or whatever in the future.

P

PatriotsGirl

Thank you everyone! I did buy it. I feel really good about this, too. What better gift for her 18th birthday then an education in something? She is really excited and hoping to be working before the holidays. That would be a dream come true for me! It is only a week long program. I am going to put her up in a hotel for that week and pick her up and drop her off every day so I know she actually makes it there every day. At the end of the week, she will take the test to become state certified. Then they will help place her in a job. They have a 90% success rate of placing students within 3 weeks of becoming certified. She is actually going to start classes on the day of her 18th birthday.

Yes, I used to dream of difficult child becoming a doctor or a lawyer. Now I have to settle for bartender. :) But, you are all right, after a while when she figures out what it is she wants to go to college for, it is a great way to put herself through school. That is what I did.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ten years ago I made $800 a week bartending - never had a school - only knew there were three types of beer - and went from a little beer bar to managing three clubs. I LOVED IT....BEST JOB EVER.

I never drank - I learned a lot....I listened a lot........and I wrote a bartending guide.....and taught a lot of bartenders how to make real good money. I have NOT made that kind of money in SC since.

Now they are actually ASKING for credentials for working as a bartender......so I say go for it. (yes I kept my clothes on and yes I went home alone) Not that I didn't have opportunities in both areas but I had better things to do with my time. AND money.