re-evaluation needed?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Just wondering. difficult child saw a nueropsychologist this summer who suggested having a WoodcockJohnson test done to help determine if in addition to everything else he has a learning disability. He said he could do it or even the Special Education teachers at school.

Anyways, the Special Education. teacher said that was fine but that he didn't need a full re-evaluation (which we didn't ask for). Now I'm wondering if there is any benefit in having a re-evaluation done. He will difinitely still qualify under ED.

tiredmommy

When was his last evaluation through the SD? Could things have changed or issues appeared/resolved since the evaluation?

Wiped Out

Staff member
His first evaluation was in 1st grade. He isn't as violent as he used to be but most issues are still there. In addition, he has many more learning issues to add to the mix of behavior issues. I think their stand is that we know he qualifies for services so he doesn't really need the evaluation-we'll just make goals for the areas he needs help. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something by not having an evaluation done. Used to be every three years they had one no matter what.

Sheila

There's a recent change in IDEA 2004 law that allows a Waiver for full re-evaluation if parents and sd agrees.

You can request just the Learning Disability (LD) testing. I'd request a full battery for achievement and ability. By letter sent certified mail, of course. lol

I'd want a professional to perform the testing who has the appropriate credentials and experience in diagnostics of this nature. In our area, a sp ed teacher would not be allowed to do this type testing unless s/he also has the additional credentials.

slsh

member since 1999
Sharon, the IEP team is still are required to address a re-evaluation every 3 years. The team can decide that testing is/isn't necessary in the different domains, but it has to be specifically addressed. I think with- kiddos where there is no question about their continued qualification for sped, the re-evaluation is more about defining where they're at. Boo is a good example - no question he qualifies. The reevals have touched on all areas (motor, cognitive, academic, psychiatric) so that there's a more concrete measure of progress and/or level of function. Much more definitive than his IEP LOP (though that could be my fault for letting them slide on IEP stuff).

Since you are questioning the issue of Learning Disability (LD)'s, sounds like the IEP team does need to address formally the re-evaluation (which they should've done anyway). I don't think they can just say "we know he qualifies, therefore we don't need to do testing", since you're on the team and *especially* since the possibility of LDs has been raised.

My lay understanding anyway.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! I think some testing is definitely needed. I'm not sure whether to have SD do the testing now as I'm not sure difficult child will even try for them as he so dislikes his spec. ed teachers who would be the ones administering it. I may ask a neuropsychologist we saw this summer to do it.