Recipe Time!!!!

LittleDudesMom

:bbq:

It's grillin time!

You know we keep a recipe post stickied at the top of our page, but noone has been there since January!

It's time to share some recipes. Anyone have any good recipes for grilling veggies or fruit in the summer? How about a different take on the salad?

Seems like there are a few of us using glycemic index numbers to get healthy and I know we would love some variety!!

Share, share, share..........

Sharon

trinityroyal

Here's one that I make as a light summer dessert. I made it instead of a birthday cake for husband's birthday last year. And yes, it's G. I. compliant

Ingredients:
- about 2 litres of berries, whatever type you prefer. I use strawberries, blueberries, and then a mixed berry combo - all frozen. You can use fresh berries too.
- 2 large containers (650 mL, I think?) of vanilla flavoured yogurt. Here's the brand I prefer: http://www.yoplait.ca/source/en/source.aspx NOTE: If you want your yogurt to be thicker, then drain it over a bowl using cheesecloth (instructions below)

Take the berries and grind them up in a blender or food processer, to whatever level of chunkiness you like. If you prefer to leave them whole and they are small-ish berries, that works too.
Get a medium-to-large, fairly deep glass dish. (NOTE: If you like, put a layer of graham cracker or oreo crust on the bottom, however that makes it non-compliant. I usually skip the crust entirely.)

Spread a layer of crushed berries into the bottom of the pan.
Spread a layer of vanilla yogurt over the berries.
Keep on layering until the pan is full. Make sure that you finish with a layer of yogurt.
Garnish the top with a few whole berries, just to make it look pretty.
Chill the whole works in the fridge. Put into the freezer for about 1/2 hour before serving to let it set up a bit.

To drain the yogurt. Note that if you're going to do this, you'll need more yogurt to complete the recipe.

Take a mixing bowl, a square of cheesecloth that's larger than the top of the bowl, and an elastic band long enough to fit tightly over the rim of the bowl.
Spread the cheesecloth over the bowl, and use the elastic to hold it in place.
Pour the yogurt into the cheescloth. The liquid will drain from the yogurt, leaving behind something akin to soft cream cheese.

Note that you can also use this technique to thicken yogurt to make "cheesecake", also a G.I. compliant dessert.

Sorry about the sketchy details. I really am a "throw it all in the bowl" sort of cook and don't do a lot of measuring.

Trinity

LittleDudesMom

Trinity, that sounds really good. With this GI thing I'm doing, that would be a great dessert! Since I started reading labels so closely, I am amazed at the amount of sugar in yogurt! I wish they would sell the fiber one yogurt in large containers since it's the lowest! I've not seen the yoplat source, but will keep my eyes open for it. But this is a great splurge with ff vanilla yogurt! I'm writing this one down!

Sharon

N

Nomad

Thank you so much for this thread and for the berry pie recipe too!
This should be fun.
Would like to highly recommend the new little green book of Cook this/Not that!
There are some delicious recipes in there. Two for salmon that are out of this world. One has a sauce made of brown sugar, butter, soy sauce, a little honey and grey poupon mustard. It is outrageous! You put half on and cook the salmon with- it and the other half you save for dipping. I WOULD get this book!
The recipes are lighter versions of restaurant fare. REeally good stuff!

LittleDudesMom

Nomad, I have the orange one (first one) and remember being shocked at some of the examples. The author does the Today Show monthly and I love that segment!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If you can handle spinach, this is one of my favorites...

Fresh spinach leaves, washed, torn if you like
Dried fruit - if larger than raisins, cut up - I love to use dried cranberries (but not Craisins, too sweet)
UNsalted almond slivers - if you can't find them unsalted, a good rinse in cold water works
Raspberry or cranberry vinaigrette dressing - you can make your own or use the cheap stuff, it's actually not too bad sugar-wise

...Just yummy.

LittleDudesMom

Step,

I do this with fresh strawberries - dried fruit is a no-no for those of us watching our sugar! Thanks for posting. I love salads in the summer!

A dressing hint - I just can't stand the fat free dressings - they leave a "skim" on my teeth ad tongue :tongue: Buy the light dressing, open it, don't shake it, and poor off 80% of the oil from the top of the bottle!

Sharon

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Blueberries are good too. I didn't even THINK about the sugar! DUH.

Actually - I can't handle the light dressings. And pouring off the oil works really well. ;)

trinityroyal

Step, I do this with mandarin oranges and bean sprouts.

For the dressing, I mix up a couple of tbsp of olive oil, a dash of the juice from the mandarin oranges (tinned), lime juice, and a spice blend I get at Costco called "Vegetable Seasoning". Don't know what's in it exactly, but it is great.

I don't know about the sugar content of the mandarin oranges, but substituting berries should keep the sugar content pretty low. And the bean sprouts add extra bulk with practically no calories or sugar.

LittleDudesMom

Trinity -

Here's an option if you can buy the in Ontario -

DelMonte No Sugar Added Mandarin Oranges (packed in water with Splenda)

0 Fat - 45 calories (almost 1/5 the calories as the Dole) - 6 sugars (less than 1/2 of the Dole)

I love Mandarin oranges! But must say, I just don't like the sprouts.....

Sharon

trinityroyal

Thanks Sharon. I'll have to check those out!

Bean sprouts are definitely not for everyone. I just like the crunchiness of them.

trinityroyal

Another recipe I tried last night

husband grilled pork sirloin the other night (like pork chops, but a much leaner cut of the meat), and we had lots left over.

I sliced a couple of the pork pieces (total about 2 cups), added 2 cups of slice mushrooms, threw it all in a large frying pan with a spritz of olive oil and a splash of light teriyaki sauce.
Very good, and it only took 5 minutes, including prep.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Last night I was bored so I threw some "stuff" together... Some rice (medium grain, brown, NOT the minute kind), low-sodium low-fat chicken broth (1 can) and some water, garlic, onion, parsely and a teeny dash of cayenne (Jett doesn't like spicy stuff) in a glass pan, baked for 20 minutes on 350, then added some boneless, skinless chicken breasts and baked till done. (About 45 minutes, the chicken was frozen still...)

Jett had thirds. This is not something I am used to seeing. husband ate it cold (ugh) and pronounced it wonderful (he's not picky, but he doesn't compliment that often on food)... I had the leftover rice for lunch and it was good lukewarm.

Simple sometimes just is best.

LittleDudesMom

I've an old friend coming for dinner Friday. I'm planning on cooking out. He was just diagnosis'd with diabetes three weeks ago and I am doing the GI diet thing. Fortunately that would be right down the menu ally for him.

Here's the question. I'm planning on "pounding" a couple chicken breasts thin and then marinating them in fresh cilantro, lime, and a little EVOO. Once it's hot off the grill, I'll top with a little ff feta. On one side I'll serve a black bean salad (black beans, purple onion, tomato, cilantro, chili paste, lime zest and juice - actually a WW menu but I'm leaving out the corn since it's not not phase I of the GI). Now I need another side. Don't really feel a green salad is the thing.

Anyone have any ideas for a veggie side that can be prepared ahead of time? Perhaps something cold since we will probably eat outside? Something low in sugar?

Appreciate any ideas....

Sharon

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Guacamole salad would fit right in. IF you like that sort of thing!!!

Easiest thing in the world - take a couple of avocados, peel and mash till they're mostly creamy but a few lumps are good. Mix in a bit of garlic and onion powder (or the real thing, actually better in my opinion), and a dash of celery salt (or not, my Mom can't handle that, but I love it...go figure). Put a scoop on top of a lettuce leaf (not iceberg, maybe romaine).

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
What about steaming some asparagus and marinating it cold in a basic vinagrette dressing? You could make that up earlier and serve it cold. I know asparagus is allowed on the diabetic diets; it's very healthy if you happen to like it.

In fact, done with a simple seasoned EVOO and balsamic vinegar it should be very tasty

LittleDudesMom

I was going to make some guac the other day and the guacs at my grocery were still really firm.....I will check when I hit the store tomorrow night....

Unfortunately, I don't like asparagus.

Maybe a cucumber salad?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Cucumber salad would be good. You could make the dressing out of greek style yoghurt, garlic, dill, and a little mint if you like the flavor.

A hint to stop the cukes giving off so much liquid: Slice them and lay them out in a seive over a bowl. Salt lightly and allow to drain for an hour or so. Then, rinse them.

You don't have to do this. I don't when I make cuke salad, but the cuke liquid bothers some folks.