Recognizing a Disability without IEP??? Help

SnowAngel

Help please. I have a meeting Thuraday at 8:00am and I want to be prepared.

Are there protections for kids with disabilities under IDEA whether or not there's an IEP?

I talked with the principal last night and asked if their was a relationship with Peanuts disorder and his behavior that led to discipline..Well technically without the IEP the school wont recognize his disabilities. Which I think stinks. They have had copies of their psychiatrist psychiatric evaluations and counselor reports since before school started..so frustrating..

I was told peanut did qualify for the IEP, but they are waiting for the Occupational Therapist (OT) to test him and that has been rescheduled due to his suspension.

I came across info on the functional behavioral assessment and the behavior intervention plan, as they both qualify to have one I will be discussing getting one in place on Thursday at the meeting.

Thanks for your help..This is so hard to sort out and make sense of the schools legalities.

Sheila

If you sent the letter requesting the full and initial evaluation via certified mail, the "protections for children not yet eligible for special education provision" under IDEA is in effect.

They can make some modifications to how they handle behavior if they want to prior to difficult child being officially deemed "eligible" for an IEP.