Red hat society?

Abbey

Spork Queen
Don't know if any of you know about this (another small town thing), but mother in law is HUGE into it. She's hosting a party on Tuesday for about 200 of them. You should see our backyard, which connects to theirs. I watched all day as they were putting up tents, flowers, etc. Notice the 'watched' part there.

http://www.redhatsociety.com/

Abbey

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I'll send you my red hat/purple ribbon, but I'm thinking you have a couple of years to go.......pink hat? I went to a small local group meeting once.....when I first turned the magic 50 and felt like a youngster......haven't gone again, but have the hat......could be fun with the "right" group, but I just wasn't that in to it.......

Wiped Out

Staff member
My mom was into it for awhile but didn't stick with it. I have some older friends that call themselves the "purple" ladies-they are all retired but felt to young to be in the red hats. They are a small group that gets together and have a great time.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I have seen them around town here. Although I do enjoy an occasional girls night out, would so not be into very large groups of females on a regular basis. Shoot, I didn't even like girl scouts that much.

Marcie

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My mom was a "Red Hatter" but after they turn 80, they start in with wearing a ton of purple. My mom looks great in purple. It's sad, however, because she really can't participate any more.

I love when I see a group of them out for lunch or something and they always ride in the parades.

mstang67chic

Going Green
According to stories I've heard, and the website........it was originally started by some women with the help of this poem (not in it's entirety):

WARNING
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens . . .

The ending of the poem pleases its readers when the woman says . . .

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

My mom and two of my aunts all have copies of this poem but I don't think any of them have joined a chapter.

muttmeister

I'm a memeber and we have a ball. I think how much you enjoy it depends on which chapter you belong to. They call themselves a dis-organization because every chapter is free to do their own thing. Most do not have officers, programs, etc. We have members aged 50 to almost 100. We eat out a lot, and just have fun. It has become a wonderful support group for people going through illnesses, losses, lonely times, or just living day to day. I know some groups are much too rigid and I wouldn't enjoy them but the group I'm in has a blast.

N

Nomad

I think when I get a little older I will check it out. It seems like a BLAST!
I have a friend that is ten years older than myself. About six years ago, when her husband left her, I told her to join and even emailed her the link. She almost laughed at me.
About 1.5 years ago, another friend told her to do it...she did and LOVES IT. She gives her other friend all the credit. I'm really glad she is happy...but for some reason, it really bugs me that she doesn't remember me talking with- her about this. Perhaps this is part of getting older...I know my memory needs much work....

Fran

Former desparate mom
I absolutely love the concept. I think it's a great idea. Women are so interesting when you delve past the facade. I think I would love to be involved active and laughing a lot. Red hat ladies rock!!!!

Deb, hope you get to meet some of these women and find them to be great company.
I hope I am interested in getting out and socializing when I'm ready for a red hat and purple clothes.

F

flutterbee

I've always just wanted to be a Golden Girl. They had so much fun. I don't need the hat. :D

When difficult child was little and just exasperating me to no end, I would call my mom and either say I was running away or I was ready to be a Golden Girl (did you notice that the kids on that show only stayed for a few days and then were gone for a really long time?). That was kinda my code for a rough day.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, my bunco group of the past 8 years has kind of de-volved into a group of gals that just gets together for the helluvit every month. We were a group of 12 that had a few people come and go over the years. Then we lost 4 this past year and decided we weren't going to bother with filling the empty spots. We decided we liked our group just the way it was! Now we rarely play bunco when we get together. We ALWAYS eat, drink, and make merry :D Sometimes we go out for a chick flick. Sometimes we just sit and talk about whatever's going on in our lives. Some of us are in our early 40's, some are knocking on 50. Some have kids in college, some with kids in elementary school. When my husband had brain surgery last winter, they all came together and made meals for my family for the first two weeks he was home. It's funny, when I first joined the group, I didn't think I had much in common with them -- but now I can't imagine life without them!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
When last I worked at an assisted living community there were a group of Red Hatter's there. These ladies were a hoot ~ cannot wait to join myself.

Abbey

Spork Queen
BUNCO!!! I love that game. I used to be in a huge group when I lived in CA. We had upwards of 40 people in it. That made for a lively party.

Abbey

KTMom91

My mother is a red hatter. Her group is quite social. There are tons of groups around here, there's almost an entire section in the Rodeo Parade just for them!

I'm not a big fan of pastel pink and lavender, so I'll just wait till I hit the magic "red and purple" age!