Regional names for things

BusynMember

The U.S. is so big that we have different dialects, regional pet names and differences. Anything unique to your neck of the woods?

When I first got to Wisconsin, I had to get used to stoplights being called stop and go lights! I still just call them stoplights.

I came from Chicago where soda was called pop so I adjusted to that. Now that I have been in Wisconsin for twenty years calling soda by the noun of pop sounds odd to me.

Also, the further north you go in Wisconsin, the more you hear a Canadian "accent" (for lack of a better word). But, no, I dont hear "eh" lol ;)

Pink Elephant

Oh boy... this is a hard one.

The biggest one for us is, "eh", being Canadian and all, and yes, it's used a lot! :)

Trying to think of a few others to add. May need some time to ponder...

For us, "pop", is still the most common name I hear for soda, and "java", "mud", or "brew" for coffee.

How about children's snow pants, in our house they were always called "waterproof pants".

BusynMember

What does that mean? Coffee?

Do you use a lot of British words to describe things? Like shag? Lol. I know sweater means simething different in Brit than it does here, but forget what it means. There is so much Brit slang that is different than ours. Its all English, but its still different :)
Sometimes like a diff language.

Pink Elephant

What does that mean? Coffee?

Do you use a lot of British words to describe things? Like shag? Lol. I know sweater means simething different in Brit than it does here, but forget what it means. There is so much Brit slang that is different than ours. Its all English, but its still different :)
Sometimes like a diff language.
My apologies, SWOT, no, Poutine, is French fries and cheese curds topped with a brown gravy. We also do ketchup and gravy.

Do you guys call winter caps that are woven with wool or cotton, "toques"?

Yeah, I just love the differences between certain words in the UK as compared to Canada (or the US for that matter).

You guys use "grits", too, if I'm not mistaken? We don't here.

BusynMember

Wow. What hit me the most is...ketchup and gravy??? Is it good?

Well, a Chicago thing is hot dogs with ketchup. Awesome!!

We just call our winter hats hats...lol. Do you have special names for other winter wear...coats, gloves, mittens, heavy socks, boots? Other clothes items? Summer clothes like swimsuits, shorts, tops?

Do you know what a sweater is when somebody from the UK uses the word?

Anyone from the UK here to help?

We do use grits.

pigless in VA

I believe the Brits call a sweater a "jumper." I thought it was a type of shoe.

In Virginia's northern neck, it is called "Wal-Mark." One lady also called a desk, "dest."

One of my exes called those knitted hats "toebonnets." He asked me to get the toebonnet from the closet, and I busted out laughing. It sounds like a sock to me.

People in the southern part of Virginia all say "burfday." They haven't a clue they are saying it wrong. "Bafroom" is another one. "Cawn" and "si REEENS."

The oddest thing I have ever heard anyone say was "athernoon." Try it. It is so much easier to say afternoon. Death and deaf are sometimes interchangeable, and you have to pay attention to context.

We had a lovely preschool teacher from New York who habitually turned the "a" sound at the end of a name into an "r."
One year she had an "Aver" "Rever" and "Alysser" in her class. Reva's mom complained.

Pink Elephant

I believe the Brits call a sweater a "jumper." I thought it was a type of shoe.

In Virginia's northern neck, it is called "Wal-Mark." One lady also called a desk, "dest."

One of my exes called those knitted hats "toebonnets." He asked me to get the toebonnet from the closet, and I busted out laughing. It sounds like a sock to me.

People in the southern part of Virginia all say "burfday." They haven't a clue they are saying it wrong. "Bafroom" is another one. "Cawn" and "si REEENS."

The oddest thing I have ever heard anyone say was "athernoon." Try it. It is so much easier to say afternoon. Death and deaf are sometimes interchangeable, and you have to pay attention to context.

We had a lovely preschool teacher from New York who habitually turned the "a" sound at the end of a name into an "r."
One year she had an "Aver" "Rever" and "Alysser" in her class. Reva's mom complained.
Most interesting. So happy you chimed in. :)

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
My husband is British. He is from North England. I crack up because he drops the H at the beginning of some words and but then adds an n to the a.
Example: a hammer becomes an ammer. Lol

Pink Elephant

My husband is British. He is from North England. I crack up because he drops the H at the beginning of some words and but then adds an n to the a.
Example: a hammer becomes an ammer. Lol
So very interesting. I watch a lot of BBC, and often have a difficult time understanding what's being said, especially if the actors and actresses are talking fast.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
So very interesting. I watch a lot of BBC, and often have a difficult time understanding what's being said, especially if the actors and actresses are talking fast.
I had a hard time understanding my husband if he was not in the same room as me where I could see him and hear him. I still can't understand a single thing my father in law on the phone.