Report Card

SuzyfromTexas

I received my Kindergartner's report card today and the teacher mentioned that although he is doing well academically, he lacks common sense with every day, simple problems. I am in the process of setting up an appointment. with her for specifics on this issue. She did not give me any examples.

Is this a common problem that many of you on this board experience with your kids?

Just was wondering if this is common with our types of kids and is there anything specific we can do to help them with this? Honestly, I really did not see this as an issue with my child but maybe I'm missing something.....

LittleDudesMom

Not sure. When she says simple everyday stuff does she mean 1+1 or does she mean opening a juice box? Does she mean holding a crayon or does she mean writting his name? Does she tieing his shoe, zipping his jacket, or identifing colors? I think you need clarification on this.

I'm not sure you need an appointment, just ask her when you drop him off, pick him up, or call/email her. There are a number of issues that include developmental delays. I would really like the clarification if that statement was on my son's report card.

Sharon

SuzyfromTexas

Sharon,

You're right....I really do need clarification on this. I'm guessing she means things like tying shoes or zipping his jacket. (She indicated that his writing is very good which is a good suprise since that's a red flag for NLD). thanks.

SuzyfromTexas

Sharon and others interested,

Here's a follow-up to the report card comments:

I had a conference with my son's teacher today and she mentioned that he had problems with following how to fold paper at certain angles while she was non-verbally showing the class how to make something. In other words, she was demonstrating how to do a project visually and he seems to have trouble.

Also, he may ask her "what do I do?" with a word search that he completed many times before successfully if the paper if at his desk.

It seems to me that while he's doing very well academically, maybe he has has a hard time following visual tasks without her verbally explaining them.

She's not too concerned as he is doing well with reading, writing and math and mentioned that his social skills seem very good. He also follows multiple directions very well but I think she must verbally state them.

Maybe some people with NLD kids can shed some light on this.

I'm pretty impressed that she picked up on this as the school
knows nothing in regards to me having him tested. I will let them know if he begins to have trouble of course.

LittleDudesMom

Suzy, thanks for the update.

My son does not have the NLD diagnosis, but I can tell you that when he was in kindy, he would have had a problem following folding directions! Heck, sometimes I still have problem! I wouldn't think that was a good example of

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuzyfromTexas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> he lacks common sense with every day, simple problems. </div></div>

In regards to the word search, I can't really speak to that. If it is something that the class does on a regular basis, you would think that just seeing the box of letters would cue your son about what needs to happen. Since I don't have experience with NLD in my difficult child, I can't comment. Hopefully someone with more knowledge/experience will address this issue.

You are a good mom.

Sharon

busywend

I would imagine that if the teacher is pointing this out, then your difficult child is different than the rest of the kids. It is worth noting and having her keep an eye on. Perhaps he will just take longer to catch up to the rest of the class.