Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) ? - if parents are divorced, do they require both signatures?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Shari, Apr 29, 2008.

  1. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    If divorced and wanting to place a child in a Residential Treatment Facility (RTF), if custody is joint, is it likely both parents would have to approve and sign to have a child placed there?

    I'm not thinking of doing this, just trying to cross t's and dot i's in the near future.
  2. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    In my case, Miss KT's useless father and I have joint legal custody, and I have primary physical custody. The only legal-type thing I insisted on getting his signature on was her driver's permit, because I wanted to be able to make him pay half of whatever she hit(like the stop sign...still waiting for that to be resolved). I think it all depends on how the divorce agreement reads. I take it to mean either of us have the right to make legal decisions for her, but since I have primary physical custody, my decisions for her come first.
  3. LittleDudesMom

    LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Mary's right - you do need to see how your settlement is worded. Bonehead and I share joint legal custody but I have physical custody. I, as the custodial parent, have the right to make legal decisions without his sig. But, that may vary state to state as well.

  4. witzend

    witzend Well-Known Member

    Ditto what the others said. Only the signatures of the legal custodial parent(s) is required. If there is only one custodial parent, then only one is required. If joint, then both are required. It's also generally accepted that if there is only one legal custodian, only that custodian can direct treatment or get reports from the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF). If that is something that might concern you, you will want to make that clear regarding the non-custodial parent upon admittance.