SD Evaluation / Which tests?

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I requested from the SD a list and schedule of the tests that would be administered to my son as part of the evaluation process under IDEA. Are they obligated to provide me that information? They never did. We have the Eligibility Meeting coming up on Mon to go over results.

Thanks

Sheila

Yes, they are. In fact, they are obligated to provide you with the written report if you request it.

I never go to a meeting of this nature without having the report beforehand. No way can the typical parent read and interpret the report sitting in an IEP meeting.

SRL

Sheila, I tried finding something that said that they were required to provide written results prior to the meeting but all I could find on WrightsLaw was that they were required to provide a copy. No advance time was specified. Is that correct?

FWIW, I think my SD did it right: they told me what tests they were going to do in advance and gave me a general time frame (not exact dates because there were 4 people involved). When the testing was finished each staff member scheduled an appointment with me to go through the results and gave me a copy of their report. I had everything a week prior to the meeting.

Sheila

You are correct SRL -- there's not a time specified to give a report to a parent. However, parents need information to participate in the meeting.

Some sds will say that a parent can't interpret the data or understand the report and refuse to give the report prior to an IEP meeting. In cases like this a parent should ask to meet with-whoever wrote the report and have it explained several days prior to the IEP meeting.

If a parent asks, the sd should provide the parent with-test instruments used to do the evaluation.