Short update on me

Estherfromjerusalem

Hello everyone, I haven't posted about us for a long time. difficult child is still living with us. He is working selling motorbikes, goes to work every day and doesn't get home until after 7 in the evening. Waking him up is a pain, but then once he leaves there is peace and quiet for the whole day. Evenings -- well, often he goes out, but if he's at home, things aren't as bad as they used to be, although it is still better without him around . . .

My great news is that my granddaughter, who got married last summer, is expecting a baby, so my husband and I are on the way to becoming great-grandparents. Truthfully, I have mixed feelings about it. Of course I am thrilled to bits. We will become a four-generation family which will be amazing for me -- I come from a two-generation family (only my parents and we three sisters, all the grandparents were killed in Europe in the Holocaust), so it will be truly meaningful to be four generations!

This week I am going to have another angioplasty. For a while I was getting a funny feeling high in my chest when I walked or made any aerobic effort, so I made an appointment with my cardiologist. She sent me to do a SPECT test which is a combination of stress test and MRI with radioactive stuff -- anyway, the cardiologist phoned me two days later and told me I have to have the angio and it will be on Wednesday. I'm not scared -- it's not the first time. I already have two stents in my heart. I am a walking advertisement for the wonders of modern medicine! I promise to get on the computer on Thursday evening when I should be back at home.

Everything else with my family is fine. difficult child is behaving a little bit nicer because of the upcoming angioplasty. This evening he took laundry off the line and hung out some more -- very nice!

Other than that -- I am fat, and I am still smoking. I will try not to smoke after the angio -- we'll see how long that will last. Last time it was three months. I'll give it another try.

I apologise -- this was supposed to be a "short" update -- oh well, never mind.

Love, Esther

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
It is good to hear from you, Esther.

Congratulations on 4 generations- what a wondrous thing! I became a Mimi on April 15- I posted about it on PE. I'll never make to great-grandma so my hat's off to you!

Please take care of yourself- you are so special to us. I will hold a good thought for you.

Hugs,
Suz

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Thanks for the update........ it's always better to get your house back, but at least it's not totally unbearable....... Glad you recognized that something wasn't quite right and visited the doctor....... thinking of you as you take steps to get better..............

Mattsmom277

Esther, what an amazing thing, a new baby coming. Congratulations! It is very exciting :)

I hope the angio comes back with results that nothing majorly new is going on.

Good luck with no smoking. It is the toughest thing to quit. I swear I'd rather try to kick anything but smoking! It is the bane of my existence. 3 months is about my longest period of no smoking too. One day I hope to beat this cursed habit. I hate smelling and that awful little cough and being winded when walking from my lung capacity. Its just yucky! Yet, I crave, I want, so I do.

Things sound relatively peaceful in your home, I'm so glad to read that. Sounds like even difficult child isn't being too difficult.

What have you been doing for enjoyment lately? For just you? Hope tons of good stuff!!!

Estherfromjerusalem

Thank you guys! I promise to post AFTER the angio.

Suz, I'm sorry I missed that post on your becoming a "Mimi." My sincere congratulations. Becoming a grandparent for the first time is really exciting. One has all the pleasures without the obligations.

I have six married children now, and we are expecting grandchild no. 23 within the month. I wonder how many grandchildren there will be all in all? My oldest grandchild (the one who is expecting) is only two years younger than my difficult child, so the generations have sort of got mixed. She and her husband are good friends with my two youngest children. We don't get together all that often, but last week on Israel's Independence Day (a national holiday here) we had a huge barbecue in our garden, and there were quite a lot of them. When the family gets together, I just like sitting at the side and watching them all interacting.

The one thing that makes me feel I just must stop smoking is that I want to see this greatgrandchild. I know I have to stop, but I truly do NOT want to. It's the same old story, and I've been here several times before. I shall not smoke after the angio, and we will see how long I can keep that up. In the past, I have several times stopped smoking for three months, which seems to be my limit. Maybe this time I can kick the habit for once and for all.

Love, Esther

busywend

Wow - 4 generations - that is a special milestone for anyone, but losing so many in the Holocaust makes it that much more amazing and awe-inspiring!! Congratulations!!!

Good luck to you on Thursday - we will be there with you - holding your hand and helping you get through it. A new baby sounds like a good enough reason to stick around longer - let's not quit - let's just stop for awhile. See how that goes - OK??!!

Last edited:

Estherfromjerusalem

OK, and thanks, BW. I'm not scared of it, but all the same, there are certain thoughts that keep on rolling around my mind . . . you know, what if? etc. Oh well, I will write on here on Thursday night.

Love, Esther

Fran

Former desparate mom
Esther congratulations on being a great grandmother.
Good luck with your angio on Wed. Many hugs.

Estherfromjerusalem

Thanks Fran. Oh, by the way, I'm not yet a greatgrandmother -- it will be in about another four months. It is thrilling! My granddaughter showed me pictures from her ultrasound. Honestly, these days it is so advanced, you can see a real little face, and little arms -- it's wonderful. I only had ultrasounds with my last two children (today aged 25 and 23), and then it was so blurred, nothing like the advanced stuff of today. Oh boy, suddenly I feel ancient!!!!!

You've helped me through quite a few medical procedures, Fran. I feel as if you are at my side once again -- and it feels good! Thank you for being there.

Love, Esther

DDD

I'm sending caring thoughts your way. The update on difficult child sounds encouraging. Fingers crossed. Have you tried Chantix? I have the Rx but it's very expensive. Like you I enjoy smoking but I really do want to go back to my nicotene free lifestyle. Hugs. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Huge congrats on the great grandchild!!!! Babies are such blessings, and to make the 4th generation, makes it even more special! :D

Will be thinking of you and praying for you for the angioplasty.

((hugs))

aka Daisylover :)

TerryJ2

Thank you, Esther!
Best of luck with-your angio. No fun, I'm sure.
I'm so glad difficult child is working. Way To Go!!!

Estherfromjerusalem

You are all so kind -- thank you for the good wishes.

Yes, I did try Chantix. Nothing has worked for me, and I am going to give it a good try by talking to myself. After all, I want to live. That's the bottom line.

It is great that difficult child is working. He seems to be doing really well as a motorbike salesman. Waking him up in the morning is a nightmare, but once he is awake, he is out of the door within minutes.

I love this place -- you are all so great to have as friends. Thank you.

Love, Esther

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Esther, sweetie, it's so good to hear from you. How proud you must be to be expecting a great grand baby. Don't forget to take those 4 generation photos ~ it's a great memory.

Saying prayers for your upcoming angio. Take care of you!

Estherfromjerusalem

Thanks, Kathy and Linda.

It's 2:45 p.m. and I've just come home from the hospital -- I went through all the admissions procedures, and I have to be back there at 8 this evening. The angio will be tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, and I should be home on Thursday. The doctor said this time they will do it through my arm and not through my groin. Certainly less embarrassing which is a great plus. I've got two more cigarettes left here at home and will smoke them now with a cup of coffee, and then I hope I will somehow find the strength not to smoke any more.

I've got my little radio to take with me, a couple of magazines and a Sudoku booklet, so I should be OK as far as keeping occupied is concerned. If I had a laptop I could stay in touch with all of you, but that will have to wait until Thursday.

Love, Esther

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well, Well, Well..........Look who has NOT quit smoking. (folds arms, taps foot ----looks away somewhat indignant) smirks. exhales. Okay - blast over. You know girl, I enjoy talking about "my girlfriend in Jerusalem." WHAT would happen to ME (being somewhat narcissistic here) if something were to happen to YOU? Well.....there goes my bragging rights about my friend in the Holy Land. (pft......) You know of course I am just kidding right? ......I'd be devastated. So first thing is first....but I had to get my dig in about the smoking/angioplasty first.

Congratulations on the upcoming arrival of your great granddaughter. I'm sure you are thrilled. I can't picture you as a GGMa. Surely you will want to hold her without smelling like an ashtray? (CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW ESTHER?)

Honestly woman. Heart surgery, recovery - wretched work schedule - difficult child's, war.......and oh........I see why you smoke. Never mind. But you know we need you here. So put the bloody things down and walk away..........walk away........(said in almost chant like voice)......walkkkkkkk away. I know you hear me.

Anyway - Prayers for your speedy recovery for the angio - and I'm glad you checked in with us. You're in my thoughts. And I'm going to add YOU to my list. What list? Oh .....the list of people who I hope every time they think about taking a drag of their cigarette the thought of dog turd comes into their mind. :tongue: Yup - that should help.

Hugs & Love......
Shalom
Star