Should I apply for SSI for impaired son

crazymama30

So now that difficult child is not here, I am realizing he is more impaired than I realized. It is sad, but too true. He will be in high school next year, but emotionally and developmentally? He is maybe at a 5th or 6th grade level. He has his bipolar not otherwise specified, adhd (high on the moderate level to severe), and now Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) not otherwise specified. I am sure he is ODD also, but there was no question to that.

I "think" we would be in the income limits for SSI, and have toyed with the idea of applying for him. For those of you who have done this, is it as hard as filing for an adult? Does it cause any problems when the kiddo is an adult? Are there any benefits to them once they are adults?

Before I went any further, I wanted to hear some opinions of those who know more than I do about this.

DammitJanet

Go for it. Everyone seems to think it will hurt them as adults. It wont. Okay, we know our kids are not going to be President right? I think we have ruled that one out. Other than any job in high level politics, I think its okay. I think a person could probably even make Governor after being on disability, I know sheriffs who have been elected after having felony convictions...no joke.

So the biggest thing with disability is that a future employer actually gets a tax write off for hiring him. Voc Rehab can help him get into training, school, job coaches.

crazymama30

Janet, I was thinking along the go for it line. I don't have much to lose, so why not? I guess I will try it. I started the process for s2bx to get ssdi or ssi, so I know what the process is.

buddy

I would apply. I will apply when Q is done with adoption assistance (you have to pick one or the other and adoption assistance is not income dependent). Yes, it is difficult to get it passed but not impossible but he is in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and you have history, etc. I do know of others who have gotten it right away without as many challenges as you have. But of course there are many others who have been denied at first. ARC helps in our area...they will help with SSI paperwork.

It can continue through adulthood as long as they continue to qualify.

I know others here have gone thru the process so will have tons more to share.

crazymama30

In was able to find an income table online, and definately we meet those requirements. like I need one more thing to do? lol. I think I will go ahead and try. I have enough records to get started. The extra income would help. I could use it to go do fun stuff with difficult child that would help him socially.

crazymama30

So I started the online application? I did not realize how many different professionals difficult child has seen in the last year, more than most adults! Definately continueing with this.........

DammitJanet

It will help that he is in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and he will qualify for it when he is in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) 90 days anyway so going ahead now is good. It will probably take that long to get through most of the paperwork and appointments anyway.

crazymama30

It is hard just filling out the paperwork (computer work). Seems like it is when I put things to writing that I get the most emotional response. So much anxiety and sadness in doing this.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm glad you are going to apply. We've also been told to apply but I can't imagine we would meet income requirements (believe me as two teachers we do not make much but I'm guessing it's too high for ss) or we would definitely apply. Professionals have told us that others with much less severity than difficult child's have qualified and his should be a no brainer.

crazymama30

sharon, from what I saw of the income guidelines? You would not most likely qualify. I qualify, by a few hundred, and I am the only one working.

DammitJanet

Sharon, you want to apply for him not long before he turns 18. Then even if he lives with you he can still pay you rent but have the insurance and benefits so that if you find him some sort of programs he will have that to fall back on. Keep that in your back pocket. You are going to need it.

JJJ

I would apply. I will apply when Q is done with adoption assistance (you have to pick one or the other and adoption assistance is not income dependent). Yes, it is difficult to get it passed but not impossible but he is in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and you have history, etc. I do know of others who have gotten it right away without as many challenges as you have. But of course there are many others who have been denied at first. ARC helps in our area...they will help with SSI paperwork.

Must be state specific as Kanga is on adoption assistance and SSI (so are many kids in our state).

buddy

well, I did an interstate adoption. I wonder if the rules have changed or if they mislead me??? I will check that out! Thanks. (that could make the difference between my having to move with him....just a few hundred dollars a month and we would be ok)

crazymama30

I finished all the online stuff. I have to call our local office to make an appointment to meet with someone. After finishing all that info? I needed a clonazepam to chill out. My mind was racing about things that don't need to be thought about yet, what will difficult child do when he grows up, what will we do when he comes home, will the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) help? and millions of other questions that I cannot do anything about.

I took my medication, cleaned the kitchen (even the sink)and now feel better

JJJ

It might have to do with her being in Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

It can't hurt to look into it.

buddy

ok I will, I know he qualifies if not on adoption assistance, but OHIO and MN and the interstate compact folks said I had to pick. I chose the adoption assistance because it was 500 a month regardless of my income. It is the thing that allows me to buy him food and pay for school lunches right now. I just have to fill out that paper that says I am still raising him every year.