Small upd@te on difficult child

Fran

Former desparate mom
He has completed 2 full 40hr weeks. Yay. He doesn't h@te it.
When i spoke to him yesterd@y, he was upbeat and so "normal". it's what i call "clicking on all cylinders".
He was insightful, realistic and enthusiastic.

Two things he said really struck a positive flag. He said he finds himself doing things that he really doesn't want to do because it's what he is supposed to do. (like gett(ng up every day for work.) This is big for a guy who is a man of the moment thinking type person. Welcome to the real world,difficult child.

Secondly, he read an artcle on budgeting. Guess what mom? They said exactly what you have been tellng me for years about budgeting. difficult child thought" geez, maybe my mom isn't such a MORON." Light bulb moment for difficult child but can you believe he said this on the Phone to ME. No rancor, no guile. Just fact. Sheesh.

He spoke of several things that were indicative of thinking and planning. Very positive conversation. Just reinforces to me that his limtis to understanding are not intentional but developmental.

Just call me moron but a happy one. :holymoly:
Development continues to progress. B@by steps.

Fran,

Thank you so much for posting this very positive and encouraging update on your difficult child. I'm not only thrilled that your difficult child is making great progress, (I know - you call it "baby steps - to me it is a HUGE accomplishment) but also I'm happy to hear that this reinforces the fact that his limits to understanding are developmental and not intentional. Your difficult child is still continuing to develop emotionally and socially - This is so encouraging, not only for your difficult child, but for all of us who have difficult children with some similar issues to those of your son.

Thanks again for the excellent news!!! I'm looking forward to the day when I can be a "happy moron" too, lol!!!:rofl::hammer::rofl: WFEN

Good for you for holding back the "I told you so"!

Uh, you did hold back the "I told you so", didn't you?

I'm not so sure I would have been able to. In fact, I might have written an "Ode to I told you so".

D

DancesWithWolves

I think any time we plant seeds and live long enough to see them grow it's a great moment for us as a parent. To me it seemed like I was planting and seeding, yet never saw a single moment that told me all my hard work now would pay off later. I, like so many kids wanted by pay off quickly. In the past with my son I've secretly hoped that what I was doing would benefit him by allowing him a life, and benefit me by allowing me to have my older years without all the headaches we'd lived through with our son as a troubled young man.

Great Job Farmer Fran! Enjoy the sunflowers!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
What a nice post to read Fran!!! And it is nice to know that you are not a moron!!! MOM... THat is funny.
Sometimes the day to day grind gets SO tiresome. So it is nice to hear that some of these kids get it, even if it takes a LOOOONG time. I guess some of us grow up at our own pace and schedule?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Fran,

What an uplift! Planning, getting up, budgeting - all the things that you've worked with difficult child on ad nauseum.

AND it's beginning to sink in! :yes:

:yourock: lady!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Fran,
This is a delightful post to read! It is so good to hear that difficult child is living what you have been working on with him for so long! I'm sure you are beaming-I'm doing the happy dance for you!:cutie_pie:

I hope the good news keeps on coming:bigsmile:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Secondly, he read an artcle on budgeting. Guess what mom? They said exactly what you have been tellng me for years about budgeting. difficult child thought" geez, maybe my mom isn't such a MORON." Light bulb moment for difficult child but can you believe he said this on the Phone to ME. No rancor, no guile. Just fact. Sheesh.

Yes, I believe it. Travis would/has done it a few times. lol

Such wonderful news Fran!! I'm just sitting here beaming ear to ear for difficult child. :bigsmile:

I'll be anxious to hear how he does with the budgeting. Travis still can't seem to manage it, although he does give me my rent each month.

Hugs

Fran

Former desparate mom
difficult child does pay part of his tuition and all his food plus spending money. He has bounced checks this week. i told him he worked 3 hrs for every bounced check. :talkhand:
difficult child may always need someone to help him balance his finances. it's just something that doesn't click.

jannie

trying to survive....
Fran-
Thanks for sharing the update...He's is definately working towards being more independent and reponsible...Good for him !! :crazy1:

slsh

member since 1999
He said he finds himself doing things that he really doesn't want to do because it's what he is supposed to do.

Gee, Fran - can you please bottle this up and pass it around??? This is a *huge* step forward, in my humble opinion.

So nice that he's acknowledging you might actually have known what you're talking about all these years, LOL. Sigh... what a waiting game we have to endure.

Will keep my fingers crossed that he continues to keep focused and doing what he's supposed to. Yeah difficult child!!!

Estherfromjerusalem

Fran, what a great update, thank you for sharing that with us.

It just goes to show that one should never give up hope, and never give up trying to help them "get it."

Love, Esther

tammyjh

So glad to hear that he's making some progress. For the difficult child's a little progress is HUGE! Yay for him and hope he continues to move forward! :)

Sara PA

I do think, Fran, that our sons have finally hit the age where we start getting smarter. lol

It's good when they phone us with the news that we actually knew something. That way they can't see us roll our eyes and mouth "I told you so."

DDD

What a terrific post to read on a lazy Sunday afternoon! I'm so glad that there is more evidence that you may have reason to be optimistic. The "moron" comment really demonstrates the social innocence of the Aspergers kid.

Do you get reports from the trainer as well? DDD

meowbunny

Since you insisted, good job you happy moron, you! It sounds like he is growing. Who knows, he may even have a few more surprises as time goes on.