So sick! Any suggestions?

meowbunny

This is almost like food poisoning but not. It started at 2:00 am last night. Woke up with the most incredible gas pains starting at my diaphragm and radiating into my back. Finally forced myself to vomit hoping that would make things better. Absolutely no improvement except now I can't keep anything down -- not even soft boiled eggs.

I think the cause was a very rich chocolate cake. It was so rich no one could finish one piece but I'm the only one who got sick from it, which would figure since I do have a very sensitive stomach.

So, what OTC medications are good for gas like this? There's no acid, just really miserable gas. I think if I could get the gas under control, the vomiting would stop.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mom_to_3

Could you possibly be having a gallbladder attack? Around 2 am is when I would have mine. If I ate something that was very rich or had been fried, oh my gosh did it make me sick. I finally had an attack so bad that I almost wished I had died! Went to the ER, got some great pain relieving drugs and instructions to see a surgeon which I did. I had mine removed and don't have that problem any more. Here are the gallbladder attack symptoms:

GALLBLADDER ATTACK SYMPTOMS

Please note that if you are in severe pain and particularly if your attack symptoms are accompanied by fever DO SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. The following symptoms are typical of a gallbladder attack.

Moderate to severe pain under the right side of the rib cage
Pain may radiate through to the back or to the right shoulder
Severe upper abdominal pain (biliary colic)
Nausea
Queasiness
Vomiting
Gas
Burping or belching
Attacks are often at night
Attacks often occur after overeating
Pain will often but not always follow a meal with fats or grease
Pain may be worse with deep inhalation
Attacks can last from 15 minutes to 15 hours

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Beano and Gasx are supposed to be good for the gas.

OMG I hate gas pains like that. I get them for IBS. NOT FUN. But I have to be on the brink of death itself to actually vomit.

mt3 has a very valid point. You're symptoms are sounding like a possible gall bladder attack.....and your past sensitive stomach could be from much milder attacks.

been there done that don't have mine anymore.

If you're no better by morning I'd call your fam doctor or go to the ER and be checked out.

(((hugs)))

mom_to_3

If you are still reading this board, I'd go ahead and get to the ER. This kind of pain is TERRIBLE and there is no need for you to have to suffer any longer. You could also have a stone blocking a biliary duct and that can be very serious. Sending good vibes your way.

Marguerite

Other possibilities - liver (which can also send referred pain through to your shoulderblade); and a food sensitivity issue, such as gluten. A good friend of mine has suddenly developed a problem with MSG which presented like this. We were actually out on the town together, had dinner in a city bistro and she felt ill very suddenly, with what she thought was a gas attack. I was thinking gall bladder but it wasn't always greasy food which set her off. Then we were thinking gluten (her daughter has developed coeliac) and finally it was pinpointed as MSG.

I hope by now you've sought treatment. An ultrasound of the upper abdomen should show the state of both liver and gall bladder. If there are no other answers, I'd be considering foods.

But do let the doctors check it out, you shouldn't put up with gall bladder pain any longer than you need, to get help.

Marg

I was going to say the same thing about the gall bladder.

Feel like you swallowed, oh, a live snake or something? and he woke up? And you think "oh, if I stretch this way, I can get comfortable". but no matter what you do, you can't get comfortable.

Get to the ER.
Let them give you a shot of Demorol.
Smile and watch the unicorns fly around the room.
GB surgery is so non invasive anymore. 4 tiny incisions and it's out.

Hope you feel better soon!!

nvts

With all of the fats in the chocolate cake, I'd put my money on gallbladder!

Aside from the beano, make sure you stay hydrated and if the pain hasn't subsided get to the ER. They can do a sonogram and check it out 1-2-3.

Try standing (but bent over) in a warm/hot shower with the water hitting your lower back. The heat soothes the cramping from the gas.

A friend who had horrific gallbladder problems. told me that she uses Midol/Pamprin (the ones that mention cramps, bloating and gas) extra strength when she had an attack.

Hope you feel better!

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
Gas X chewables are good for gas -

I had a similar reaction and thought it was to pop corn, and it wasn't. I ended up with major pain, couldnt' keep anything down or in for 9 days, went to the ER they couldn't find the problem but a CT scan said my upper intestines were inflamed - I look pregnant. It was scary. A VERY bland diet with prilosec, morphine and sleep is the only thing that helped.

Sorry you are hurting.

Considering we have not heard back from Ms Meowbunny, I am operating under the assumption that she is short one stoney gallbladder tonight. Here's hoping the surgery went smoothly.

witzend

Gall bladder is what came to my mind, too. If you cut out fatty foods and it goes away, that's probably it. I hope you are feeling better?