Something new and different

flutterby

Fly away!
Pre-op bloodwork came back and my calcium is low. I have no idea why; my diet hasn't changed.

Seems to explain the tingling in my tongue and lips, and the pins and needles in my feet and calves.

Going to recheck it in a month.

Steely

Are you taking supplements? I would suggest health food store over drug store supplements.
I have the same feeling when my Potassium is low. I have to take XR Potassium, yet they have no idea why it is low. Kidney something or other, possibly.
Hugs.

M

ML

I like the cal mag powder that you mix with water and drink. I get it at the Vitamin Cottage.

flutterby

Fly away!
I take calcium citrate, which is the kind of calcium I have to take because I take a proton pump inhibitor (GERD medication).

I called them back and told them that I have a history of very low Vitamin D, so they faxed an order for bloodwork to the hospital and I'm going to have that checked.

She's been worried for a couple of months that I may have a malabsorption issue - although you can't tell it by my weight - so we'll see how the results look in a month.

susiestar

Roll With It
Be sure to keep an eye on this. It truly is eye opening what vitamins and minerals do for us. You never really pay a lot of attention until you find you don't have enough of them and cannot get enough.

Not sure if you remember, but I fight the low Vit D issue also. My docs do not know why. I had to have shots specially compounded for almost a year, at over$250 per month, because I couldn't take Vit D orally. It is VERY tough to find a calcium supplement with-o D in it. Or with-o magnesium. The magnesium can make you have the runs in the most awful way. NOT fun when the Vit D already had my stomach roiling.

Anyway, I hope you can find ways to handle this without the problems that I have had. If I can help, let me know. I can send you my compounding pharmacy info if it will help. It can be tough to find a compounding pharmacy. Here only 4 pharmacies in the state do it. One in a little town about 30 min away and the others are in the 2 major cities. Most pharmacies here carry phenergan (promethazine) in a topical gel, but they all get it from the little pharmacy in the little town 30 mins away.

Anyway, I hope you can get your calcium levels up with little trouble.

Hugs,