Sometimes Fate Does Smile On Me

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Alot of you know I decided to do the LPN program because I was having issues with getting a high enough score on the RN entrance exam....due to trying to do Math under a clock. I'd decided on LPN because it gave me the option of "stepping up" to the RN program once I had 1000 hours experience working as an LPN under my belt.

Well........................................

I was speaking with my instructor today. Seems our nursing school is changing their entire program. The LPN program is going to be a requirement for the RN program.:surprise: AND this starts next fall of 2011!!!! This is no rumor as the instructor I was speaking to is the one who got the job of totally revamping the program.

NO MORE ENTRANCE EXAM for RN program. Cuz LPN is required, then you "step up" into that program to finish for your degree.

Exactly what I'd planned on doing anyway. LOL :D

So our RN program will now be 1 yr of LPN as part of the pre recs, then 1 yr of the RN program.

This is because many programs in Ohio offer their RN programs this way so students who want/need to work once the LPN part is completed and they pass their inclux exam will be able to while completing the rest of the program.

If I'd have held off and attempted to go into the RN program directly next Fall I would've found myself in a real mess school wise.......and would've had to take an extra year.

Most of the time Fate just pounds me over the head with a hammer and expects me to deal with it. This time......seems it pushed me into going the right route even though I didn't really want to do it that way.

LOL LIfe can sure toss you some curve balls. :D

DammitJanet

Oh good job lisa. Im so happy for you.

But...Im wondering about something. When you say that about the RN's...what about the BS RN's. Like my step-sister got her RN way back in the dark ages...I guess early 80s as a 5 year bachelor degree. I cant remember what it was called. I know she went 4 years of regular college and then one more year of medical school. Then she stepped into a masters and a maybe now a phd. I know she has her masters but cant remember if she finished that phd. She had to have the masters to go into admin.

How would the Bachelor of Nursing students differ from the Lpn route RN's?

donna723

I wasn't aware they were doing it that way now. I think it's still different here. My daughter got her LPN in one year through one of the State vocational schools, or rather it was through the vocational school but all of their classes were at a large hospital in another county. There is also a community college that has a 2-year RN program but it usually stretches into three years of classes because you have to take all kinds of other prerequisites first like English and classes on how to study and maybe some math if you're not up to snuff. But if you are already an LPN, you can go to the community college and take just that second year of nursing courses and get your RN in another year. Unfortunately my daughter decided to move back to Florida before she could do that and it doesn't carry over to another state.

klmno

Wow! That was lucky- or did you pay them off to do this? JK! It sounds lkike this could save you time in school too, or did I get that part wrong? Anyway, this worked out great- they may end up with a lot more people applying for the program you are already in and you don't have to worry about it now. Hmmm......Karma??

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet, so far as I understand the program for a BS in nursing is different from the Associates in Nursing. Because easy child will graduate her BS program at the same time I'll be graduating from my LPN one. She has her associates degree in nursing at the moment. Which is the 2 yr RN. I don't know what all the BS program has to take via classes..........but I know she's had to add on alot of stuff she didn't get the first time around and this will be her 2nd yr in the BS program.

Our RN program is a 2 yr associates degree. Which is why easy child is now at Wright State doing her BS, then plans on getting her Masters after a year off. She's thinking nurse practictioner right now......But that care flight nurse thing is her ultimate goal once the boys are in school all day.

klmno yep, it saves me school time. I have met all the other pre recs for the RN program. :)

Donna, maybe that depends on the state?? Here it doesn't matter where you got your LPN as long as your license is current. Maybe Florida is different about that sort of thing?

Oh about 28 or 29 yrs ago I did the LPN via a vocational school too. I just walked out a few wks before graduation. (I have mentioned I was a difficult child, right?) If I were to compare the 2 programs....so far this one seems easier, doesn't seem like you're getting everything thrown at you at once because anatomy and such was required before you started. And personally, the instructors at the voc school I attended were witches with a captial B who loved to make your life a living hades. These instructors seem more concerned with you actually learning what you need to know and being able to apply it when the time comes. A much better learning environment.

DammitJanet

I think in NC, we have a LPN course that is 2 years long too. I could be wrong. Maybe its a 1 year LPN then stepping into a 1 year RN from the community college. I really am not sure. I havent looked into all that because medicine isnt my thing...lol. I think it used to be a two year LPN course.

I know someone in TX who did like a 9 month voc tech LVN course and I was amazed that they could walk with that and be LVN which I was told was the equivalent of our LPN which at that time was at least 18 months. I guess when I say two years Im assuming that means 5 semesters. Fall, winter, summer, fall, winter. I think that is the average schedule these days. I think that is what it takes to be a respitory tech or raidology tech these days.