Son jumped & robbed

Helpless29

My son has contacted me a few times, when he does it’s begging for money saying he hasn’t eatten in days . I sent him lots of places to call & places to seek help since he is homeless . He has not called one . I also told him , he can go back to his sober living home in Daytona but he refuses. Yesterday he called his dad from another street person’s phone, told his dad Friday night he got jumped & they robbed him took his phone , wallet & not sure about his duffel bag of clothes. These guys he just met on the streets ( who he partied with) said they would let him live with them & they had food etc .. my son believed it & then all six of them beat & robbed him. There’s so many unanswered questions because his dad only was able to talk to him a few minutes .Today we have not heard from him. I’m so sad , but also angry he’s choosing to live like this. Why won’t he get help ?? I don’t understand. Now we’re just waiting for him to somehow find a way contact us again & try to convince him to get help .

Copabanana

Dear helpless

My son is living like your son is living. He has been hit on the head and robbed of several thousand dollars (an inheritance from my mother. He has been taken advantage of in more ways than I can recount here. It would make me too sad. That old saying is true, you lay down with dogs and get up with fleas.

Your son does not seem to be mentally ill like my own son. Your son seems not to want to live by rules. And he still seems to like drugs more than he suffers from their effects, either by feeling bad or the consequences of living in the gutter with others who live this way.

There is not one thing you can do about this. He continues to choose this way of life.

I am glad you are beginning to be angry at him. He has hurt you over and over again. I am sorry.

Not Unique

My son has contacted me a few times, when he does it’s begging for money saying he hasn’t eatten in days . I sent him lots of places to call & places to seek help since he is homeless . He has not called one . I also told him , he can go back to his sober living home in Daytona but he refuses. Yesterday he called his dad from another street person’s phone, told his dad Friday night he got jumped & they robbed him took his phone , wallet & not sure about his duffel bag of clothes. These guys he just met on the streets ( who he partied with) said they would let him live with them & they had food etc .. my son believed it & then all six of them beat & robbed him. There’s so many unanswered questions because his dad only was able to talk to him a few minutes .Today we have not heard from him. I’m so sad , but also angry he’s choosing to live like this. Why won’t he get help ?? I don’t understand. Now we’re just waiting for him to somehow find a way contact us again & try to convince him to get help .
Hi helpless: I am so sorry you had to hear all of this news from your sons dad. I have been on the receiving end of many calls like this through the years. My husband has Venmo’d a lot of money to people who “wanted to share a room with my son” only to realize that that never was the intention. My son actually “sublet” a room that we were paying for on our credit card to another person. They both vandalized the room and we were charged for the property damage. Now we no longer can put our name/credit card on a place for him because it’s financially dangerous to our life savings. there is a saying in Twelve step program‘s that you become ready for change when you become sick and tired of being sick and tired. I pray for your son and for mine as well that this happens. Sending you prayers and hugs.

New Leaf

Hi Helpless,
I’m so sorry that you are on this awful roller coaster. It is beyond comprehension why our wayward adult children choose this life. It makes no sense to us, we did not raise them to be on the streets and would not accept the lifestyle for ourselves. When my daughter was somewhat sober, she told me it is a selfish life, all she wanted to do was party with no responsibilities.
There’s so many unanswered questions because his dad only was able to talk to him a few minutes .Today we have not heard from him. I’m so sad , but also angry he’s choosing to live like this. Why won’t he get help ?? I don’t understand.
I have had similar issues with my two. My eldest has chosen violent partners and ended up hospitalized a few times from being beaten. It is so difficult to witness as a parent. One day a few years back, I was getting ready for work and I spotted someone walking slowly up the road. It was Rain, she was crying and shaking. I asked her if I could take her to a DV shelter, or if she needed to go to the hospital and she shook her head no. I had to go to work, and because of past issues and her drug use, she could not stay at my home. I was worried sick and felt guilty that I had to keep my boundaries. The next day, she showed up on a shiny moped, all dressed up with a big smile on her face.
My daughter Tornado came up to my house around Christmas time and was obviously high and very chatty. She talked about her family just “accepting” her addiction and drug use. I told her that it was torture for me to have her living the way she is. She has a large scar on her upper back. I asked her about it and she said that her then “boyfriend” stabbed her with a broken bottle. Then she said she knows there is something wrong with her, because she still wanted to be with him after the attack. Sigh.
I still mourn over my daughters choices. I still get sad. I am only human. What I have stopped doing is spending too much of my time over analyzing, wanting an outcome and fixating on recovery and “normal” living more than they do. That takes a lot of prayer.
Yes, terrible things can and do happen to our wayward adult kids on the streets. I feel that they know how to pull at our heartstrings and relay these stories (embellished or not) to keep us scared, dazed and bewildered. That makes it easier for us to be manipulated into sending money. To me, this is a form of abuse. To put oneself in these predicaments, then call one’s parents for help, only to go right back to that scenario, creates such emotional devastation for us.
I told my daughter that my form of “accepting” her lifestyle choices was to give her and her sister to God, and pray daily for them to realize their light and potential. Otherwise, I was living a slow, tormented death of sadness and helplessness. That’s not fair. I told her I loved them both, but to witness up close their destruction with drugs was unacceptable.
I have to strengthen what’s left of me, to take care of my grandaughter, and myself. That’s self preservation. And that’s okay. If I perish with every choice they make, if they decide to get sober, there will be nothing left of me.
I hope your son is okay, and that you are too.
I know it’s so hard, but you matter, your hubs matters. Your sanity and health matters.
Take care
(((hugs)))
Leaf

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Helpless
Just catching up
Miss everyone!! Started new job and can’t access sites at work because they watch closely
I am assistant to CEO so I’d look bad if I view sites not work related
Sorry he is still doing this thing but remember if you help it postpones him having to change
I know you know this
My son still not making good choices all the time
Did pills last in October after we were back in Chicago
Seems to be done with that now but we thought so five years ago too!!! I hate addiction so much.,.

Last edited:

New Leaf

Hi Copa,
I hope your arm is healing well.
New Leaf. I feel bad putting a winner sign on your post because it is so sorrowful but I can't help it.
It is sorrowful, and I am sad and tired. It’s one of those days where it is hard to “fake it till I make it.” Not going to lie, and I think most of us understand this ongoing struggle to maintain some sort of normalcy and balance.
I write here to remind myself of what I need to do as much as to encourage others to try their best to live well. But, some days the protective “bubble” around my heart bursts, and I have to have a good cry. And that’s okay. We love our adult children and want the best for them, but they have to want it too. Truthfully, I really despise psychological labels like “co-dependency.” I know it describes the desperate situation of not having boundaries and enabling. But dammit, we have been heart trained from conception, birth, adoption, whatever method these kids came under our watch care, we have as Moms literally given our all to help them grow. How do we throw down the towel, as they destroy their own lives? It takes a monumental effort and much trial and error to stay out of the rabbit hole. I get how Helpless is feeling, because we all are “helpless” when it comes to these awful choices our wayward’s make. I will always have to work hard at my own “recovery” from thinking that anything I could do, would make a difference in their lives. I believe at least for my two daughters, that they stay where they are, on the streets, surrounded by like minded people, because they are accepted “as is.” Meth and the lifestyle is more important to them than anything or, anybody. I look at my two year old beautiful grandson and am beyond appalled by the fact that his mother was using meth and God only knows what else up until a week before giving birth. Now I am mad, as well as sad. I will cycle through these feelings and try with all my might to rise up. It makes no sense to lose my joy and sanity while my two live as they do. That’s three lives wasted.
Dealing with “It is what it is”. Didn’t cause it, can’t control it or change it. They will choose as they do, so I have to make a choice either to languish along with them, or live my life.
I choose life. Not always easy, but necessary.
Love to all. Keep up the fight.
Leaf

Kalahou

Aloha -
Just a quick comment:
I believe at least for my two daughters, that they stay where they are, on the streets, surrounded by like minded people, because they are accepted “as is.
Accepted "as is" - that is major!! How true.
My son once told me that he gravitated to those “sketchy” settings / companions, because “I feel appreciated.” (What ? doing crimes to (in his words) “help” his “friends” & “take care of “ people “out there” ) - it made him feel he had value. … It’s a totally different mindset – baffling!
How can we hope to have a position against something like that? (It reminds me sort of like ... how useless the threat of a death penalty consequence is to try to stop a “suicide bomber.” )

Thank you everyone for all your wisdom and support. I do not post much, but follow along every day. Keeping you all in love and prayers. We all hold each other up. More later.
Kalahou -