Staffing for the bug....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
There was a staffing for ktbug this morning.....

Much of the discussion revolved around discharge planning even tho kt will be in treatment for almost too months more.

Much of the issue is that kt is not exhibiting any of the behaviors that had her admitted other than boundary issues. No dissociative states have been witnessed, very few rages & 2 therapeutic holds.

The discussion then turned to my relationship & parenting of ktbug. It's the Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) & that shows only at home.

therapist doesn't know what to work on because kt isn't flipping out.

Well, okay then.

Mental health case manager stepped in & informed psychiatrist & therapist that kt has been in treatment so many times she knows how to get discharged & can maintain for 3 months. The same goes for home passes.

therapist wants me to up the ante if you will. Increase the number of overnight passes & push kt. I refused as I don't have supporting staff in my home for these passes.

So now what? No one seems to know what the next step is because I'm not being cooperative with the home pass thing.

Mental health case manager agreed with me & backed my decision.

kt will be coming for a weekend pass ~ CM only wants kt home for one night. God bless him.

DDD

Lordy, Lordy. It's like you are in an endurance contest. Hang in there and know we all support you. Hugs. DDD

DammitJanet

Linda, what are your goals ...realistic goals for KT in the near future?

Obviously she just turned 17 so I am assuming she is either in 10th or 11th grade. For your sake, Im hoping 11th grade so you dont have but one more year to go. So realistically, are we looking at some form of independent living situation and tech school? If so, then now is the time I think to start moving on more realistic goals with all the caseworkers to work away from you and towards her independence. adl's, Integrated Listening Systems (ILS), all that those things entail. It is entirely possible that as she ages out of having to actually live with you and having you be "the boss" of her, that she will tone down the Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD). One can hope.

H

HaoZi

I like that idea JJJ. Ideally a guest room that will allow him to hear when KT's "friend" tries to sneak in and talk her into going out.

T

TeDo

Where's the LIKE button on this forum !?! I just gave LIKE's to JJJ, Beach, and HaoZi! Hang in there Timer and stick to your guns. Glad you have SOMEONE on your side! {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}}

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
The problem seems to be where does kt go from here. Janet, transitional living has been suggested as has a foster home very much like where wm is living. Possibly a group home.

I've made myself very clear that I cannot parent kt as I once did. Without husband here to tag off to & support my decisions I feel I've become ineffective in my parenting. I'm fearful .... sometimes when I don't need to be, I'm sure.

I like the idea of therapist staying in my guest room except I really don't like this guy.

I hate staffings ~ I hate staffings that are a waste of my time more.

T

TeDo

I am so sorry Timer. I still admire the way you stick to your guns regardless of the reasons. You don't need to explain to us why coming home isn't an option. Nuff Said!! Many {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}} hon.

cubsgirl

I'm sorry staffing was such a waste of time. I like the idea of having the therapist (or another staffer) in the guest bedroom.

I hope the staff can come up with a more creative solution than kt going home after Residential Treatment Center (RTC). You have really provided me an education on Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) and the devastating effects of it on children and their families. I really knew nothing about it before.

Wiped Out

Staff member
So glad cm says only one night! I do like the others idea of having therapist sleeping in the guest room!!

L

Liahona

How much longer until she is 18? Does she age out at 18 or 21? Sometimes I get confused which services end at 18 and which end at 21.

DammitJanet

The reason I am asking these questions is there is a community type placement here in NC for specialty type clients. Well there are a couple of them but there is one we seriously looked into but I could never manage to access funding because it crossed too many border wars..sigh.

I will explain its set up and maybe you can then explain that to your "team" and they can find something similar out there.

This place was in a largely rural area and it was located on an area of probably at least 1000 acre's or so. The whole thing was fenced in around the entire property line somewhat like a military property. Wooded nicely. On this place were several types of family style group homes....There were also schools...middle and high school. I dont believe any children there were in elementary.

All the level 2 and 3 group homes were situated around each other on one street with a cul de sac. Then they sort of spike out toward another direction with the more intense level 4 homes on another street. Then they did have maybe two group homes combined behind a barbed wire fence that kids who still needed 24/7 locked monitoring. Those kids were working on moving down to level 4.

The goal was for these kids to move down to the best part...the apartments on the site. These were located near where the stores, school, laundry mat, play areas, etc were located. They were two bedroom small apts for roommate situations. A caseworker worked with each person on skills needed to live in the real world. They had to learn all sorts of things there and were taken on outings into real towns to learn skills with buses and taxi's and such. These kids had jobs in the town stores.

It really seemed to work for building independent living skills and working kids down from higher levels to the lower levels and out the door to real life without coming back home.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Janet I'm pushing for transitional living setting. I think I finally made my point with various & sundry team members when I hauled out a letter my neuro doctor wrote for me to present to the IRS for a tax issue.

My therapist encouraged me to share it with kt (& wm's) team; felt it was necessary for the team to understand the level of cognitive disability I'm have after my Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). I think it's sinking in when I say that I can no longer parent as effectively as I would like. Neuro doctor just spelled out the facts & it made an impact on mental health case manager.

I love the tweedles ~ I'm in over my head with kt.

Janet, thanks for the info.

And thanks to the rest of you....your support is always always appreciated.