Stepgfg Address and Google Earth?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have stepgfg's address she gave it to me tonight. I downloaded google earth since it's not that big a program and put it in. It found it ok.....but all I can see is a roof top of what appears to be a house. Is that what I'm supposed to see?

Gee I'm brilliant with new technology. :tongue:

susiestar

Roll With It
You should be able to zoom out and see the neighborhood. It is a satellite view, so you would not see the front of the home, just an aerial view.

glad you have an address, now you can send letters and things to the grandbabies and stepdau. (I know she was a difficult child, but given the diagnosis I am calling her stepdau until you ask me not to.)

Hugs,

Susie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
lol Susie. Yeah. Given the diagnosis I'm wondering if her statis should be changed myself.

Actually, with some help from Travis, I did get to see an upclose and personal photo of the house. Awesome. Nice house too and a recent photo as well.

However, did one of my own and it's not so up to date and all blurry. Did some on my home town and they couldn't even come close to showing me a house, although I could find it with the streets, it being my home town. lol

This it's pretty awesom though that I got to see her house as if someone stood there and clicked a picture of it.

donna723

I've noticed that with Google Earth, the larger towns will have clearer images than the smaller ones, like where I live. If I look at my own small town, you can't see individual houses, just where the streets are and it's blurry if you try to zoom in. It's not always right either. In looking at my daughter and sister in law's house in Charleston, when I put in their street number, the "X" is on the wrong house. It shows a house on the end of the block and theirs is right in the middle. It comes in clear enough though to show the trees in their back yard and their black car in the driveway!

I think they're constantly updating it all the time. It's all kinds of fun to play with.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Depending on where she lives, Google Street View is pretty cool, you can see the front of the house. It's only available so far in bigger cities and surrounding areas, though.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I need to enter a correction in here. I stressed to stepdau in one of my latest emails that it is critical we be open and completely honest with each other so that what happened last time doesn't repeat itself.

In an email I just received she said this is not her address but that of her husband's foster grandmother whom he is still quite close to. I'd asked for a permanent address where we could send things and know she would receive them, not some stranger. They are currently homeless and staying in a hotel.

While this triggered a few PTSD moments, I took some deep breaths and reminded myself that while that did bring back some vivid flashback of memories of 2000, I did ask her to be honest and not hide anything no matter how bad things were. And she's not asking for anything, and I'm not doing any more for her than I'd do for her sibs which means no loaning money or offering a place to live.

Instead I advised her to size up nearby shelters and churches able willing to help before they're money runs out. And anything else I could think of. Also told her to think about asking her Mom if they do run out of money if the kids could stay there. But bioMom factory is closing down and she's about to lose her job too. So who knows.

So, no drive bys are necessary.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Bit of good news to pass on though. Stepdau's husband went on a job interview today and got the job!! :D They're going to apply for HUD housing on monday. Huge relief there.