Z

zba189

difficult child is nearing the end of his stay at the Residential Treatment Center (RTC). husband and I had an appointment with his team on Monday. The way things stand now, he will be released from Residential Treatment Center (RTC) in the next two weeks (this is mainly insurance based) and then moving into a day treatment program for a few weeks.

They have diagnosed a mood disorder not otherwise specified and anxiety not otherwise specified. They have left open the possibility of NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) or Aspergers HF. His psychiatrist has said that they are unsure if he has a mood disorder in addition to NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD), Aspergers or if one or the other is stand alone. He has a neuropsychologist scheduled for the middle of October.

He came home for an actual home visit last week and did well. He has now become more demanding about our visits. We don't tell him when we are coming or if we are going off campus when we do visit. This seems to spike his anxiety as well as our nightly phone calls with him. He cries and has mentioned he is having trouble sleeping at night because he is lonely (his anxiety at bedtime was an issue here at home as well). Should these be things that I should address with his team?

They trialed him on Concerta, but haven't given us the results. His therapist claims she saw no change but his psychiatrist has not weighed in. He is still taking Risperdal.

Is there anything that stands out to you that I should ask his team? It is hard for me to weigh the fact that the little boy that we checked into the psychiatric hospital is different than the little boy that husband and I have been around in the last few weeks. On that same train of thought though, we can see that some of the same issues that pushed us to this point are still very much there. They gave us a safety plan, that when written down seems like great goals but they are very much dependent on T's ability to use the tools he has learned in the few weeks to make it work. husband and I know that our parenting style will have to be tweaked as well. Things will not be perfect, they never have been but I'm hoping that they might be better or more manageable or even just that we have a clearer idea of what is going on with him in certain situations. I have an appointment scheduled with a new therapist and a psychiatrist for when he is released so I feel like I have my ducks in a row with those things. I feel like we have done everything we can to help T, but at the same time it is so very stressful to be so far down the path and realize we are just starting.

idohope

I dont have any experience with an Residential Treatment Center (RTC). I am sure that others who have will provide more useful comments. But I think that you would want to discuss the items that you mentioned (increasing anxiety about your visits and bedtime anxiety with the team). The transition to the day program sounds like it will be good, More support than having him return home without such a program in place.

I am glad that despite remaining concerns you do see some improvement and that the home visit went well. Please keep us updated.

TerryJ2

Yes, I would mention the anxiety to the team. The more information they have to work with, the better.

I'm glad they left open the possiblity of Asperger's and NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD), as well as other mood issues. It is so terribly hard to tell at that age.

If I could go back in time, I would change my parenting methods to force myself to be even more regimented. I'm an artist and writer and when I get into the flow, I forget what time it is. ;)

One thing I have always done is cuddle with-my difficult child at night, 98% of the time. It's really hard to do when he's been a PITA, (that's where the 2% comes in, LOL!) but it really makes a difference in the long run. I still rub his shoulders and his back when we watch a movie at home, and accidentally started to use the patterns described for Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and it makes him fall asleep very quickly. I tried some of the gadgets online (rubber) and he hated them. You may want to try it with-your son.

I'm glad you still have a day program in place once he gets out of Residential Treatment Center (RTC). You will need lots of help to keep things running smoothly.

One thing I learned not to do, by the way, is not to say, "We're teaching you how to be good," because sometimes his behavior wasn't bad, it was just weird. We tried hard not to use value judgments, but it is really hard. It's also important not to do that with-medications, too. The medications are to help your son calm down, not be so agitated, etc., but not "to be good." I hope that makes sense.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Adding in some hugs. It sounds like you definitely have follow-up planned-that's good. I know it seems like you are just starting in some ways but you are handling things and getting him help which can only help in the long run. This is a great place to stick around as your difficult child grows-glad you are here.

A

angelphoenix11

I am VERY new here and looking for ppl with children, who have voluntarily placed their child in an out of home facility, so I sent a friend/contact request. The one thing I can add, is as far as the Concerta, that confused me. What are they using that for? My son was on that and it worked well for a long time, but he has a diagnosis of ADHD also and that's what it was for. When his diagnosis's started shifting dominance, because it is a stimulant it was assisting his aggression, so please if you difficult child starts getting more aggressive that might be why. Hope to make friends and progress together.

Info: My son has Asperger's, ODD, ADHD and Mood disorder to show the similarity.