Stupid no help govt. agencies! (SR)

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by night4now, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. night4now

    night4now New Member

    So the entire week was spent on the phone. I neglected work, and got in trouble for it, and have gotten no further than before I started.
    I have called social security and DWS, and they wont help. I have called the DSPD, and they will start proceedings, but the waiting list is somewhere around 8 months to a year. Ive called DCFS and they cant help. And ORS cant find his mother to get anything to help us either.
    Aparently, even though the law says we are not required to pay anything to the middle ones care or support, they all insist they have to go off our income, which you would think would be adequate... but sure doesnt seem like it.
    I am jsut lost and confused, really. How is it that there is no where to go for help? I mean what are we supposed to do? How does anyone afford the care of these kids if there is no where to get help?
  2. smallworld

    smallworld Moderator

    I have two thoughts for you:

    First, I used to work for a Congressman and then a Senator on Capitol Hill. When constituents were having difficulty with federal agencies, they would contact us for help. We would take on these cases and work with the agencies to resolve the difficulties. The same casework occurs on the state level. Since you are dealing with state agencies, you should contact your state representative or his staff for help.

    Second, I did a little research and discovered there's both a children's hospital and a Shriner's hospital in Salt Lake City. Children's hospitals frequently will work with parents and whatever insurance they have to provide care. Shriner's hospitals provide care at no cost. You should contact the patient advocate offices at both these hospitals (or other hospitals closer to you) to see if they can take on your middle difficult child's case. by the way, working with a hospital doesn't mean your difficult child will have to be inpatient; these hospitals have doctors who work on an outpatient basis as well.
  3. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    I think Smallworld's suggestions are excellent and I'd encourage you to try all three routes.

    Also, do you have private insurance? Sometimes a "no" answer can turn into a "yes" with the right shove from the child's pediatrician or other specialist. For instance, if there's no in network provider in your area, they'll allow you to go out of network.

    Are you affiliated with any religious organizations? Some will provide faith-based counseling on sliding scales.
  4. mama2lexxie

    mama2lexxie New Member

    I am so sorry that you are so frustrated.
    I have what may seem like an unusual suggestion. I work for out county's United Way and people call us all the time for what seems like out of the ordinary things. All United Ways are different and have different 'Visions' but call them, you may be surprised to find that they can help or can point you in the direction of someone who can help.

    I also agree wholeheartedly with Smallworld, call your elected officials, you would be amazed at what doors their offices can open for you.
    Good luck