The bathroom

BusynMember

This is not quite another how do you wash it, yet it is, specifically the tub, which I HATE to do ;) I prefer the toilet lol.

My hub gets teary and his nose runs with anything bleach. When he worked I used bleach cleaners for the tub but now he is retired and I am not sure what else works as well. So...

How do you clean your bathroom, specifically that tub that gets yukko dirty fast!! What works well in place of bleach?

Pink Elephant

Okay... bathtub and sinks get Lemon Vim (so nice smelling, though the new version isn't half as pleasant as the old), nevertheless, it works like a charm.

The toilets get Oxy-Clean (Scrub-free). It's strong, so open the window up beforehand, but a quick few sprays of it and a quick sponging, and toilet is spotless and smells so clean and fresh. I let the cleaner sit for a few minutes (after the cleaning/scrubbing), then flush.

SOT. You will love the Vim! Been using it for years now.

Pink Elephant

Oh... and for the glass and mirrors, Bon-Ami (glass cleaner). Wow does that stuff ever work super-duper! Works super-great for cleaning greasy stove-tops after making bacon and eggs and splattering things.

Pink Elephant

When my kids were babies, I was forever cleaning the toilet, because I always had my hands in the toilet rinsing out their diapies.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

SOT. I buy mine at Walmart, but any grocer or supermarket should carry it. The lemon smells so clean and fresh and works effortlessly! I use a sponge and between the two does it ever make for fast cleaning!

AppleCori

Great thread, SWOT!

I love to talk cleaning strategies! Hearing how others do things always gives me new ideas.

First, philosophy: my aim for housework is to do it easily, efficiently, quickly, and inexpensively—in that order. A daily routine works best for me.

Before I get out of the shower in the morning, I rub down the shower with liquid soap (cheap dollar store) and a rubber brush (I have one skinny one for corners and such, and a larger one for flat surfaces). I rinse with a rag I use for his purpose. It’s a quick job, just one to two minutes. I Don’t necessarily do every surface every day. I never have to scrub and it always looks clean.

I wipe the floor, sink, and outside of the toilet the same way (all surfaces every day). Takes about a minute.

I squirt liquid soap in the toilet and do a quick swipe around the bowl.

I think Vim is a Canadian product, but you may be able to order on amazon.

If I have to scrub something with bleach-like cleaning power, I use Barkeeper’s Friend. I scrub the bathroom with this when I move into an existing home, before I shower there. It doesn’t contain bleach, but works like it does. I use it in the toilet bowl for disinfecting, on occasion.

Pink Elephant

Great thread, SWOT!

I love to talk cleaning strategies! Hearing how others do things always gives me new ideas.

First, philosophy: my aim for housework is to do it easily, efficiently, quickly, and inexpensively—in that order. A daily routine works best for me.

Before I get out of the shower in the morning, I rub down the shower with liquid soap (cheap dollar store) and a rubber brush (I have one skinny one for corners and such, and a larger one for flat surfaces). I rinse with a rag I use for his purpose. It’s a quick job, just one to two minutes. I Don’t necessarily do every surface every day. I never have to scrub and it always looks clean.

I wipe the floor, sink, and outside of the toilet the same way (all surfaces every day). Takes about a minute.

I squirt liquid soap in the toilet and do a quick swipe around the bowl.

I think Vim is a Canadian product, but you may be able to order on amazon.

If I have to scrub something with bleach-like cleaning power, I use Barkeeper’s Friend. I scrub the bathroom with this when I move into an existing home, before I shower there. It doesn’t contain bleach, but works like it does. I use it in the toilet bowl for disinfecting, on occasion.
Thanks for mentioning the possibility that Vim is Canadian. Never even thought of it. There must be a comparable cream cleaner that compares that's available in the States.

By the way, Apple, great cleaning method/routine!

Pink Elephant

There's Jif, Cif, Soft Scrub (Lemon), Creamy Cleanser, Astonish Cream, and I'm sure many, many more.

What's great about cream cleansers, they cling to the tub-surround, and when scrubbing they have substance to them, unlike liquid cleaners.

Crayola13

If the tub gets really bad I use Comet with a harsh scrubbing sponge. I have tried less harsh cleaners, but they didn't work for soap scum buildup.

BusynMember

Crayola, thanks. That's what I have been doing. I just would like to find a product where I don't have to scrub so hard. But I agree that doing it that way is very effective.